cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Credit Pull when responding to mail/pre-qual offer....

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Chase Credit Pull when responding to mail/pre-qual offer....

Anyone know any of the methodology behind Chase's credit bureau pulling system? 

I have one Chase card (Ink) from 2012 in which they only pulled TU. From I've read around here and in a database of credit pulls, 2 pulls (EXP too) has become more common lately BUT NOT FOR EVERYONE. Some people still only get one. So what gives?

Anyone recall using an invite code from a mailer or prequalified offer and getting 2 pulls? 

I ask this because I really want to app for the CSP but don't want to risk them pulling EXP (and no, I'm not gonna freeze it either) because it's so darn dinged up with inquiries while my TU has only one. I am so looking forward to about 4-5 inquiries coming off my EXP in the next 3 months or so and that's that. 

Anything to share?

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Credit Pull when responding to mail/pre-qual offer....

@ztnjpv wrote:

Anyone know any of the methodology behind Chase's credit bureau pulling system? 

I have one Chase card (Ink) from 2012 in which they only pulled TU. From I've read around here and in a database of credit pulls, 2 pulls (EXP too) has become more common lately BUT NOT FOR EVERYONE. Some people still only get one. So what gives?

Anyone recall using an invite code from a mailer or prequalified offer and getting 2 pulls? 

I ask this because I really want to app for the CSP but don't want to risk them pulling EXP (and no, I'm not gonna freeze it either) because it's so darn dinged up with inquiries while my TU has only one. I am so looking forward to about 4-5 inquiries coming off my EXP in the next 3 months or so and that's that. 

Anything to share?

I didn't get a mailer but I was pre approved in branch for CSP and they double pulled TU and EX...instant approval. So while I didn't specifically have a mailer, I figured I'd still give you my data point.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 2 of 14
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Thanks, Lurker.

Helpful info....though not very heartening. :-(

And if you get double-pulled in a branch after a pre-approval where you may even have an account and other business, that's kinda telling. Maybe the Chase single pull from TU has gone extinct....

Maybe being the Ink business card had something to do with it too. Who knows....

And yeah, I am sitting on 9 inquiries right now on EXP. OUCH. But I lose 2 in March and 3 in May. Being Amex's bureau of choice along with my local banks is not good for my EXP report. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 3 of 14
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

Thanks, Lurker.

Helpful info....though not very heartening. :-(

And if you get double-pulled in a branch after a pre-approval where you may even have an account and other business, that's kinda telling. Maybe the Chase single pull from TU has gone extinct....

Maybe being the Ink business card had something to do with it too. Who knows....

And yeah, I am sitting on 9 inquiries right now on EXP. OUCH. But I lose 2 in March and 3 in May. Being Amex's bureau of choice along with my local banks is not good for my EXP report. 

Lol I have 9 on my EX...so you never know Smiley Wink

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 4 of 14
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Oh, I am sure I'd be approved. I just don't want the inquiry on there. Even if I applied and they did pull EXP,  those 5 inquiries I mentioned would still be coming off in the next few months and I'd still be at 5 heading into the summer. I just am not valuing the card as much as the INQ. Maybe I shouldn't do that and just get the card. I dunno. Problem is that if and WHEN I go back to my bank for something sooner or later, they WILL pull EXP. ANd if I get a new AMEX, they WILL pull EXP. Meanwhile, TU and EXQ, are very light in that area. It's not right IMHO.

Message 5 of 14
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

Oh, I am sure I'd be approved. I just don't want the inquiry on there. Even if I applied and they did pull EXP,  those 5 inquiries I mentioned would still be coming off in the next few months and I'd still be at 5 heading into the summer. I just am not valuing the card as much as the INQ. Maybe I shouldn't do that and just get the card. I dunno. Problem is that if and WHEN I go back to my bank for something sooner or later, they WILL pull EXP. ANd if I get a new AMEX, they WILL pull EXP. Meanwhile, TU and EXQ, are very light in that area. It's not right IMHO.

I agree because my CU also only pulls EX. I found out today that Discover pulled EQ, the only other pull on there was my ATT phone service back in July 2012, and they showed my FICO as 764. I was like, SWEET THIS MUST BE WHAT MY CS WOULD BE WITH NO INQS!!! Smiley Happy 

...so yeah. I'm going to be in the garden for a very long time now. Smiley Happy

You, sir, are preaching to the choir.

Message 6 of 14
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Yes. Discover is nice that way. I just learned that recently myself. Spread the dings a little.  I am gonna be getting the IT Card  soon methinks...

Message 7 of 14
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

Yes. Discover is nice that way. I just learned that recently myself. Spread the dings a little.  I am gonna be getting the IT Card  soon methinks...

I found it extremely pleasant talking with their CSR, regarding my 17.99% APR in relation to the FICO they provided me, lol.

Chase Sapphire CSRs are equally pleasant too, IMO

Message 8 of 14
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I've never had pre-approvals from Chase, but they have always approved my apps in some cases over 20 inq:

UA Explorer (EX)

Amazon (EX)

Hyatt (EX)

CSP (EX + TU)

Freedom (EX)

I have the same problem, they all like EX...Amex, BoA, Citi and Chase Smiley Sad  Have you checked creditpulls for your area?

Message 9 of 14
newUser0
Established Contributor

Chase always pulled 2 (Ex and TU) for my cards CSP, Freedom, United Explorer. 

I will ask them next time I call in, why they pull 2 CB and can they change it to one for future apps.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.