Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Credit Re-Allocation

tag
IamB2
Established Contributor

Chase Credit Re-Allocation

So as some of you may know, in November I was buying so much stuff at amazon, that I figured why not apply for the Amazon Visa from Chase. So I got approved with a limit of $2000. But I am realizing that I am not even using it as much. Not buying too much at amazon since the holidays are over, so I called Chase to ask to re-allocate that $2000 to my Freedom, but the Customer Service rep stated that I can only transfer $1500 so I needed to keep the card opened with $500 on it. No balance on the amazon card, nor was there any pending charges on the card. When I asked why couldn't we transfer the whole thing I was told "The system will only allow me to move $1500" but no other explanation as to why. I chose not to do it, and give the Executive office a call.

I spoke to this lady who stated that she didn't know if all of it can be moved, but she would call me in a couple of days. I said OK. Two days later, I received a call advising me that they can re-allocate the entire credit line from my Amazon Visa card to my Freedom and close the Amazon card, which I was requesting from the get go. So Freedom now has a $4200 CL while the amazon is closed.

Chase seems to do well by me, although they didn't give me a CLI after the 7th statement on the freedom. Grrrr.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Credit Re-Allocation

No need to give EO a call ...(edited to finish reading your post..sorry lol)  your card has to be inactive for a period of days.. either 30,60,or 90 but it's one of them. The CSR did nothing wrong. They didn't know the info.. that's Chase's fault not the CSR. I'm curious why open it and close it just to move 2k over to another card later on? You're probably still going to buy things from Amazon one day... why not keep it open with 500 and use it for fast food/restaurants for 3% back via Amazon points...?

Either way, congrats on the CLI if that's what you wanted.

Message 2 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Agree you could have kept the paltry 500 limit on the Amazon for dining and amazon purchases. Congrats

With regard to 7th statement CLI Chase isn't a big auto CLI lender in my opinion. And CLI aren't given in exchange for time.
Message 3 of 10
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

With regard to 7th statement CLI Chase isn't a big auto CLI lender in my opinion. And CLI aren't given in exchange for time.

Definitely with chase.. definitely.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
Agree you could have kept the paltry 500 limit on the Amazon for dining and amazon purchases. Congrats

+1 Confirm this post. My account with Chase goes back to 2005 and no credit line increases ever. However, I have a high credit line with the credit access line (so being fair to Chase) so I don't really justify a credit line increase.

Message 5 of 10
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Seems extreme to call the EO office, but glad it worked out.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on getting it the line moved to the freedom card.  But keep in mind Chase is not like other banks who will give anyone a CLI after any particular statement cut like Barclays or any other one.  They may or may not give you an increase at all.  A CLI is given at their own appointed time OR unless the customer specifically requests it.

Message 7 of 10
scorewatcher7
Valued Member

Thanks for the info on the full transfer. I know someone who just moved quite a bit of credit line over from Chase Sapph to Ritz- I didn't even know you could do that. However, in your case, was there a purpose in not just keeping both open, even if one had a small credit line? Was there an AF on Amazon?

Message 8 of 10
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

No need to give EO a call ...(edited to finish reading your post..sorry lol)  your card has to be inactive for a period of days.. either 30,60,or 90 but it's one of them. The CSR did nothing wrong. They didn't know the info.. that's Chase's fault not the CSR. I'm curious why open it and close it just to move 2k over to another card later on? You're probably still going to buy things from Amazon one day... why not keep it open with 500 and use it for fast food/restaurants for 3% back via Amazon points...?

Either way, congrats on the CLI if that's what you wanted.

Oh I get the fact that CSR only stated what the company policy is. Not blaming CSR at all. I just couldn't get any specific reason for why I couldn't. Call me OCD, maybe, but I have a hard time with "Well the system won't allow" without knowing the why.. Smiley Happy

As for the 3% CB on the amazon card, I get it, and I am sure I will buy more stuff from Amazon, but I am getting to the point of "Work on Credit Lines"  rather than "Number of Credit cards".  Hope that makes sense.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 9 of 10
IamB2
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I totally agree, but there are countless posts here stating that they got the CLI. I am not saying why they didn't give that to me, but one could hope Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.