Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Denial Letter-No Score?

tag
jwheel113
Valued Member

Chase Denial Letter-No Score?

Earlier this week, I applied for the Chase Freedom and was denied.  I made 3 attempts at recon without success.  Today, I received the official denial letter but no credit score was provided.  I know the negative decision entitles me to a free credit report but what about the credit score that determined the decision?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Denial Letter-No Score?

I asked them about this today actually. They said "we are not a fico lender sir". Note I did not specifically ask them for a fico score. I asked them to tell me the credit score on my decline letter and they said there isn't one "we are not a fico lender sir".

Whatever that means..

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

So Chase uses a FAKO score for their credit card applications? Interesting.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

my chase approval came with a score

Message 4 of 13
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

I think they use the Vantage scoring system.
Message 5 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Scuba wrote:
I think they use the Vantage scoring system.

Yes they do. At least for a portion of their credit decisions. I can't say if Chase uses VS exclusively though. I just don't know.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I asked them about this today actually. They said "we are not a fico lender sir". Note I did not specifically ask them for a fico score. I asked them to tell me the credit score on my decline letter and they said there isn't one "we are not a fico lender sir".

Whatever that means..

They gave TU98 with my AARP approval letter. So yes, they are fico lender Sir.

Message 7 of 13
jwheel113
Valued Member

So is Chase obligated to provide the score used in making the decision whether it be FICO or something else?

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the changes implemented by the Dodd-Frank financial reform bill will take effect tomorrow, July 21 if you're denied a credit card or asked to accept an above-average interest rate, you have a right to know how credit score influenced the decision. This new protection applies not just to credit card issuers, but to utilities, insurance companies, landlords and anyone who falls under the designation of creditor. Now, if you're turned down or if you are issued a card with a high interest rate, the issuer will have to detail exactly why you have these adverse terms.

In the words of the Federal Reserve, this new law requires creditors to disclose credit scores and related information to consumers in risk-based pricing and adverse action notices under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) if a credit score was used in setting the credit terms or taking adverse action.

That needs a bit of parsing. If you get abnormal terms on a credit card (a higher interest rate, say), are denied for the card outright, or have to pay a higher insurance premium, then the issuer will have to tell you 1) your credit score and 2) any information they used in addition to your credit score. This is intended to boost transparency and prevent issuers from arbitrarily denying access to credit. We've all heard horror stories of peoples credit reports getting mixed up; hopefully, these new regulations will address such problems.

(Quoted from an article @ nerdwallet)

Message 9 of 13
jwheel113
Valued Member

Thanks for the info. I remember reading this before and thought it would apply here.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.