Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Double-Pulls for CLIs - alleged "New CLI Policy"

tag
nma851
Regular Contributor

Chase Double-Pulls for CLIs - alleged "New CLI Policy"

Well all, another lesson learned the "Hard Pull" way (LOL)

I've seen and read MANY MANY threads about double-pulls for app'ing for Chase products, not so much when it comes to CLIs.  

Now I first & foremost admit I consented to the HP for the CLI as I wanted to get my Freedom to align with my other limits.  It was previously at $9.5K and now at $15.5K.  Good news - up until the second "DING" from TU.  Given my scores and given my history with them (Freedom & the AMZ), I first asked about a Soft - afterall, it never hurts to ask right?  Told no which I also expected. 

So I consented to the HP for the CLI, asked the traditional questions and read off the traditional disclaimers, but what I did NOT expect or anticipate was that second "DING" alerting me to TU being hit up.  With EXP alone, sitting at an 832, SURELY that would have been enough as well - NOPE!!  So I called them back, actually calling the credit analyst line instead of CSRs, and merely queried into the double-pulls.  She actually thought I was asking for ANOTHER CLI (LOL) and stated I should have asked for a higher CL during the first call.  

After getting her on the same page, she states that "ANY CONSUMER-INITIATED CLI REQUESTS ARE TREATED AS NEW APPS AS OF MAY 2015".  Naturally, I challeged this "new policy" given A) I'm in the 800's; B) I have STELLAR history (I used her own words hehehehe); and C)  If ONE CR wasn't "good enough" between A, B, & C, then what is the point of proferring "inquiries are bad if you have too many in a short period of time".  <--  NO KIDDING so why would (Chase) want to ding GOOD folks like this twice?  She offered no response & asked if there was anything else she could do for me. 

Since there is limited info on this within the forums, at least using variations of "Chase Double-Pull for CLI", I figured I would get this off my chest and do my part for our FICO family.  IMO, there's NO justification for a double on a CLI - and I don't say this with offense intended, but I *could* understand this practice for a boarderline or a relatively newer account(s), but for folks in the 800 club + perfect history with the Chase and I mean PERFECT (never above 10% and PIF)?  

Like I said, given the few posts about this unless my search criteria was not the best, just FYI to you folks out there on CLIs and Chase's "alleged" new policy to treat CLIs as NEW APPS.  I'll get over it of course but once you get up here like this - ONE inquiry was 19 points....  Lessons learned 'sort of' Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

BCE: 22.5K; BC-REW: 15K; QSSIG: 15K; CITI: 6K; FREE: 15.5K; DISC-IT: 17K; FCU: 20K; FCU-HELOC: 7.3/45K; AMZ-MC: 6.5K; KAY: 7.4K, LOWES VISA: 22K. FICOS: EX: 829; TU: 812, EQ: 822- 21 OCT 15. (NEVER TO FORGET PRE-MF: 635, 629, & 630 in Oct 2012)
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Double-Pulls for CLIs - alleged "New CLI Policy"

Thanks for the warning OP. That truly sucks. Guess I'll never request one! Smiley Frustrated
Message 2 of 47
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Interesting...to say the least.

Message 3 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh my goodness!  19 points!  So sorry to hear.  Thanks for posting.  Chase's new policies are really pretty bad.  Wonder why?  Never, ever heard of a double pull for a cli before.  They will be waiting a long time before I ask them for a cli.  Again, sorry.  That has to hurt with such an excellent score.

Message 4 of 47
Involver
Valued Contributor

Chase is tightening up their purse strings in anticipation of some rough financial times ahead.

Message 5 of 47
nma851
Regular Contributor

I sure struck some nerves!!!  Look at the replies flying in!!!!

Easier to answer most in one reply (for now) but regarding the 19 point drop - I noticed the higher I got, the more things "stung".  Even having ONE more card report a balance dings more than a person with, we'll say, a 750 for example....

Like I said I DID consent to the HP - but NEVER EVER EVER anticipated TWO!!!!!!!!!!

BCE: 22.5K; BC-REW: 15K; QSSIG: 15K; CITI: 6K; FREE: 15.5K; DISC-IT: 17K; FCU: 20K; FCU-HELOC: 7.3/45K; AMZ-MC: 6.5K; KAY: 7.4K, LOWES VISA: 22K. FICOS: EX: 829; TU: 812, EQ: 822- 21 OCT 15. (NEVER TO FORGET PRE-MF: 635, 629, & 630 in Oct 2012)
Message 6 of 47
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Chase... and their garbage policies.

I truly hope they send me a pre-approval after my Ch 13 falls off in a few months... I should be in the 750 ballpark across the board and would love to mail them a reply full of bogus info with the words "bite me" in bold at the top.

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 7 of 47
nma851
Regular Contributor

....... I shall SADLY go REDUCE my score(s) in my sig....   $^#&$^#@$&*@#&($ !!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Message 8 of 47
Involver
Valued Contributor

You lost 19 FICO points from one inquiry with an 800+ FICO?

Odd.

On EQ and TU both with 800+ scores I did not lose any points for 1, 2, or 3 inquiries.  I have not tested beyond that.

Message 9 of 47
nma851
Regular Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Thanks for the warning OP. That truly sucks. Guess I'll never request one! Smiley Frustrated

EX also just had the last INQ drop today....  Go figure....  Since TU never goes above 800 irrespective of whatever I do, I don't even care enough right now to waste $15.95 for a refresh on here... I'll await for Discover to tell me the "New Damages".... 

832 to 813.. Still 800's, I know, but it's the point ya know? 

Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.