Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase FREEDOM rewards points

tag
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Chase FREEDOM rewards points

I'm not consdering on applying for chase freedom, but I was just curious on the way the rewards system works. Here is what I know so far:

1 point for every $1 dollar or 1% cash back.

4 bonus points on alternating catagories or 4%

And then they offer exclusive benefits if you have a checking account there and this is where I have my question.

10% extra points for $1 or 0.1% cash back

10 bonus points for every $1 (Is this the same as 10% CASH BACK?)

From my understanding if I bank at chase I will get 11.1% cash back + the 4 bonus on select catagories??

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase FREEDOM rewards points

Pretty sure its 10 points for every purchase that's a dollar or more, not 10% cash back on every dollar you spend.  

Message 2 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

1 pt per $1 spent 1 pt = 1 cent for all purchases now the bonus categories 5 points for each $1 spent or 5 cents

Message 3 of 10
johnnie198x
Contributor

@john398 wrote:

1 pt per $1 spent 1 pt = 1 cent for all purchases now the bonus categories 5 points for each $1 spent or 5 cents

I don't think so. The bonus is only 4 points.

AmEx Blue Cash Everyday - $1,100 - need CLI or will close
BankAmerica Cash Rewards - $10,000
Chase Freedom - $10,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5,000
Chase Ink Bold - $5,000
Citi Platinum Select - $2,600
Discover More - $4,000
Message 4 of 10
johnnie198x
Contributor

@SamsungHDTV wrote:

And then they offer exclusive benefits if you have a checking account there and this is where I have my question.

10% extra points for $1 or 0.1% cash back

10 bonus points for every $1 (Is this the same as 10% CASH BACK?)

From my understanding if I bank at chase I will get 11.1% cash back + the 4 bonus on select catagories??

Your wording makes it sound better than it is. 10% extra points on the points you earn, not really per $1 (If you make $10, you get 10 points + 1 points (10%) extra), but I doubt that they'll give you 1.1 points on $1 transaction.

10 bonus points for every transaction, not every $1, so no, it's not 10% cash back. If you make $1 transaction, then yes, it'll be 11%.

AmEx Blue Cash Everyday - $1,100 - need CLI or will close
BankAmerica Cash Rewards - $10,000
Chase Freedom - $10,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5,000
Chase Ink Bold - $5,000
Citi Platinum Select - $2,600
Discover More - $4,000
Message 5 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

@johnnie198x wrote:

@john398 wrote:

True I was adding them together

Message 6 of 10
Guava
Established Contributor

@johnnie198x wrote:

@john398 wrote:

You're correct that the bonus is 4%. But it's the 4% more (i.e. bonus) on top of the base 1%, so you'd get 5% back.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

thanks johnnie198x, that's the explanation I needed. Makes sense now.

Message 8 of 10
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

i think chase freedom+ chase checking account is a good combo for cashback especially in 5% categories. I use it for all my 1% transactions because i earn more than my other base 1% cards and use it for 5% categories. probably one of the best cashback cards out there right now

amazon
Message 9 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

@tsquad131 wrote:

i think chase freedom+ chase checking account is a good combo for cashback especially in 5% categories. I use it for all my 1% transactions because i earn more than my other base 1% cards and use it for 5% categories. probably one of the best cashback cards out there right now

exactly since my chase debit no longer earns rewards I just turn my chase freedom into my debit card, just now need to budget so I PIF each month

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.