Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Flexible Rewards vs Sapphire

tag
tonyric
Established Member

Chase Flexible Rewards vs Sapphire

I am considering a PC from Flexible Rewards to Sapphire because there is no Foreign Transaction fees on the Sapphire. If I do this will I lose the 13 years I have with the Flexible Rewards card or will they carry my first year date with it?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Flexible Rewards vs Sapphire

No, you will still have the same account open date, just a new card with all the new benefits.. Product changes keep the open date.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 21
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

The downside with PCs from many issuers is that a PC'd card usually doesn't get the "new account" bonus, such as 0% APR, or huge bonus points, etc.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 3 of 21
tonyric
Established Member

HMMMMM That is part of the reason I was thinking of the Sapphire Preferred. OK so now the question begs is this:

If I am looking for a good high rewards card with no foreign transaction fees (I spend over 30K per year overseas) what should I be looking at? With a high income and high scores I am not concerned with qualifying, just looking for the right card. I have no airline loyalty (despite my current AA card) so am looking more for a generic rewards card.

Message 4 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@tonyric wrote:

I am considering a PC from Flexible Rewards to Sapphire because there is no Foreign Transaction fees on the Sapphire. If I do this will I lose the 13 years I have with the Flexible Rewards card or will they carry my first year date with it?

Can you even PC the Flexible Reward to the CS?  Contact them to make sure or send a SM to confirm since most Flexible Reward cards were only elegible for PC to Freedom or Slate a while back.

Message 5 of 21
tonyric
Established Member

Well, the Flex Reward card (along with my CapOne) have been in the SD for almost a year, so they are no great loss if I give them up and it will be 10 years before they fall off giving me a good 23-24 years of credit service. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@tonyric wrote:

HMMMMM That is part of the reason I was thinking of the Sapphire Preferred. OK so now the question begs is this:

If I am looking for a good high rewards card with no foreign transaction fees (I spend over 30K per year overseas) what should I be looking at? With a high income and high scores I am not concerned with qualifying, just looking for the right card. I have no airline loyalty (despite my current AA card) so am looking more for a generic rewards card.

CSP or Barclays Arrival.  If you get approved for CSP, then you can fold or allocate the CL from your Flexible Rewards to CSP.  Are you looking for CCs with or w/o AFs?

Message 7 of 21
tonyric
Established Member

With the amount I spend overseas coupled with the right rewards card I am not overly concerned with the AF's as long as it isn't crazy. I would look at the AMEX but that $450 AF makes me shake my head. LOL BTW, this will be a long term card, not a one year and roll it to another card.

Message 8 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@tonyric wrote:

With the amount I spend overseas coupled with the right rewards card I am not overly concerned with the AF's as long as it isn't crazy. I would look at the AMEX but that $450 AF makes me shake my head. LOL BTW, this will be a long term card, not a one year and roll it to another card.

So, there are some choices: CSP (AF), Arrival (AF), BOA Travel Rewards (no AF), all these come with no FTFs.  Then, there's also hotel and/or airline partner CC programs depending on your spending and what programs you'd be interested in.  Others will also opine so it can assist in narrowing down the right card/product for you.

Message 9 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And less commonly suggested, Citi Prestige, which is good if you fly and spend enough (you earn 1 point per mile flown on tickets paid with the card, and these flight points convert to normal thank you points as you spend, so for each $ spent, 1 flight point becomes a TYP).  With the right balance, and rewards used to pay for flights, this becomes a 2.66 points on everything card.   Steep AF though

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.