Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Fraud Department: C-

tag
Stralem
Established Contributor

Chase Fraud Department: C-

First post after my 1 week ban. Woo.

I got a text message from Chase's fraud department early Sunday morning asking me if I'd used my Sapphire Preferred to make a small $2 purchase "at a school" that same day. I replied No since I hadn't used the card in several days. The return text said to either wait for their phone call which would be coming through "ASAP", or to call them up myself if I didn't want to wait. I decided to wait because I'm not about to chit-chat with some analyst at 7am on a Sunday.

No calls came through the entire day. And both my Sapphire and Freedom cards were suspended even though the text said only the former was in question. Whatever.

Fastforward to Monday morning. During a break at work, I called up Chase to see what was up. The robot who picked up gave me an estimated wait time of "greater than 10 minutes". I was on hold for 35. It was around 9:30am and I had to get back to work so I gave up and decided to wait for them to call me back. And to their credit, they did.

...More than 10 hours later at 7:45pm while I was in the middle of a lecture.

And the stupid robot that called immediately put me on hold. Fifteen minutes later (I damn sure counted), the robot cuts the horrible muzak with which it was assaulting my ears and said that no one in the fraud department was picking up the phone, so it would call me back tomorrow.

Click.

What the hell kind of Mickey Mouse company calls up a customer only to put them on hold and then eventually hang up? During a fraud case, no less? I had two cards sitting unusable in my wallet!

So now we come to today. Rather than wait for another robo-call at another inconvenient time, I called the jokers up myself around noon. Amazingly I got through after only 7 minutes on hold (yeah, I counted). Turns out that my Sapphire Preferred number got lifted somehow and was used to make purchases at a Brandeis University in Massachusetts. I guess the thief tried to pay off his $70k Gender Studies degree with it? Who knows, who cares.

So Chase issued me a new Sapphire card with new number and everything -- over-nighted via FedEx, reversed the fraudulent charges, and reactivated my Freedom card. And the entire process only took two whole days.

Thanks for the look out Chase, but your response time could use a wee bit of work.

C-.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Fraud Department: C-

What to say? Great catch on their part but what the H*** are they waiting for on a fraud? Their handling is deplorable!
Message 2 of 8
Stralem
Established Contributor

Yeah, really.

If those had been my only two cards on my person, I'd have been screwed.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection agencies love to do the robodialer and put you on hold when you pick up.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. My two brushes with the Chase Fraud Department were much better. In each case (different cards) I received a phone call, from a human being, inquiring about a suspicious pending charge on my account. I informed them that the charge was not mine, was told that my card was being suspended and replaced and that was that.

Strange that they put a hold on your Freedom card as well. I have ten different Chase cards and none of the others were impacted by either incident.

I do have to chuckle when an issuer makes a big deal out of how their fraud deparment is protecting me. As far as I know, I'm protected against fraudulent transactions anyway. When the issuer calls about a suspicious charge, suspends and/or replaces a card, they are protecting the issuer. Not that I blame them, I just think it's funny that they think we're so stupid that we'll give them some points for protecting us when they're really protecting themselves.

Chris.

Message 5 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Collection agencies love to do the robodialer and put you on hold when you pick up.

Frickin verizon does this before the cell phone bill is even due! Hate debt collectors. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. My two brushes with the Chase Fraud Department were much better. In each case (different cards) I received a phone call, from a human being, inquiring about a suspicious pending charge on my account. I informed them that the charge was not mine, was told that my card was being suspended and replaced and that was that.

Strange that they put a hold on your Freedom card as well. I have ten different Chase cards and none of the others were impacted by either incident.

I do have to chuckle when an issuer makes a big deal out of how their fraud deparment is protecting me. As far as I know, I'm protected against fraudulent transactions anyway. When the issuer calls about a suspicious charge, suspends and/or replaces a card, they are protecting the issuer. Not that I blame them, I just think it's funny that they think we're so stupid that we'll give them some points for protecting us when they're really protecting themselves.

Chris.

Yep, this is definetly not doing us any favors this is all about them and their money not ours. I called Chase fraud onetime for what appeared to be a double charge in my pending transactions of my CSP and did not have much of a wait. Your experienced wait time is excessive and the use of a robocaller for something like this is disrespectful. You are doing them a favor not the other way around and they expect you to sit there and wait when they called you? That is poor CS.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stralem,

There seems to be a lot of fraud on that card.  But good it is resolved.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.