Chase Fraud charge take off then get rebill back on

tag
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Fraud charge take off then get rebill back on

@disdreamin wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pip3man wrote:

ok lemme make it clear that im not trying to suggest anything by this post but I just wanna point out a few stuff and let anyone draw their conclusion. First of all and this I know from my personal experience, when you make a transaction outside your normal location Chase always sends out a text and/or email alert requesting you to verify the charge before they can approve the transaction. Even within the US when u make a sudden initial transaction outside your state of residence, they always alert you. The other day I made an online transaction for a mere $50 and the company was based somewhere in CA, Chase alerted me immediately and I had to respond before they approved the transaction. So I find it hard to grasp that Chase would sit back and watch a $17k transaction originating in a foreign country go through without any sort of alert or even suspend the account if they cant reach u. That part is just hard to understand... someone had to have replied to that Chase fraud text or email that they were indeed the one who made the charges before Chase could have allowed charges in that amount go through the account successfully.

That's not always the case. I went on vacation last year out of state and used my Freedom several times and never received any alerts or notifications asking me to verify the charges. Now you would think they would if the card was used in another country, especially for an amount that high (17k), but perhaps OP had notified Chase of his intentions to travel to that country before he left so there was no need to verify anything thing? Who knows.

I agree that Chase definitely does NOT always message you regarding purchases outside your nomal location. Every other year or so we do big trips and I use my cards all OVER the place. International, all over the US, never a blink of the eye from Chase, never a text or alert on my account. And I don't call beforehand to notify them either. Never had a problem, never had any sort of message either.

Also chiming in that Chase does not alert me with out of area charges.  I travel nearly weekly out of state, and use my Chase cards heavily, and have never had a fraud alert.  Additionally, I travel internationally 3-4 per year.  A couple of years ago when I filled out the online travel notification form I received an SM in reply basically saying, we have learned your travel pattern, you no longer need to alert us.  I haven't alerted Chase of any travel plans since, and have never had an issue.

Message 31 of 60
pip3man
Valued Contributor

I guess it's a case of YMMV but in my experience Chase ALWAYS alert me via text or email when a transaction outside my state hits my account. They never miss it with me... I frequently travel internationally and unless I didn't notify them ahead of my travel plans, they block my card when I attempt a transaction and I either have to call in or respond to the email they usually send out. So I'm not sure how it works with others but this has been my experience with them.

Message 32 of 60
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

ok lemme make it clear that im not trying to suggest anything by this post but I just wanna point out a few stuff and let anyone draw their conclusion. First of all and this I know from my personal experience, when you make a transaction outside your normal location Chase always sends out a text and/or email alert requesting you to verify the charge before they can approve the transaction. Even within the US when u make a sudden initial transaction outside your state of residence, they always alert you. The other day I made an online transaction for a mere $50 and the company was based somewhere in CA, Chase alerted me immediately and I had to respond before they approved the transaction. So I find it hard to grasp that Chase would sit back and watch a $17k transaction originating in a foreign country go through without any sort of alert or even suspend the account if they cant reach u. That part is just hard to understand... someone had to have replied to that Chase fraud text or email that they were indeed the one who made the charges before Chase could have allowed charges in that amount go through the account successfully.

Not always.... Granted it was in the US but I live in NYC and went to LA back in March. Used mostly my Citi AAdvantage card with my Amex hilton. Used my Chase freedom once or twice?  My cards with the exception never got declined or any texts confirming it was me. MY Citi Addvantage card decided to decline me for a gas purchase after being their for like 5 days already lol.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 33 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

The payment is due in few days, should I pay for or reufuse to pay because I do not think the charge does not belong to me. Should I sent refuse to pay letter to Chase?

Message 34 of 60
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

The payment is due in few days, should I pay for or reufuse to pay because I do not think the charge does not belong to me. Should I sent refuse to pay letter to Chase?

You need to be in contact with Chase, as in immediately.

If you haven't already established a formal dispute (or if they have already closed the investigation) they will report you as late to the credit bureaus if you don't make at least the minimum payment.

Message 35 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

when I conact Chase customer service can not help me and the matter is being review. 

Message 36 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

when I conact Chase customer service can not help me and the matter is being review. 

You can dispute each transaction in question online in your account, but you really need to be speaking with somebody higher up, not the regular customer service reps. Maybe someone in the fraud dept.??

Message 37 of 60
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Seriously need to get in touch with the EO. This is a huge deal.
Message 38 of 60
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can dispute each transaction in question online in your account, but you really need to be speaking with somebody higher up, not the regular customer service reps. Maybe someone in the fraud dept.??

+1000

If it were me and $17k was on the line, I would call every backdoor number in existence until I got to someone who could help me. 

I would also be keeping a detailed log of each and every contact with a Chase employee... I would take down the date/time, the CSRs name, and specifically what was discussed on each and every contact.

That's just me, though.

Message 39 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1000

If it were me and $17k was on the line, I would call every backdoor number in existence until I got to someone who could help me. 

I would also be keeping a detailed log of each and every contact with a Chase employee... I would take down the date/time, the CSRs name, and specifically what was discussed on each and every contact.

That's just me, though.

Exactly!! 

Message 40 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.