Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Fraud

tag
DomLS3
Regular Contributor

Chase Fraud

I have had my Ritz card for a little over 6 months now. This morning I get an email from my alerts saying that my card was swiped at 7:59am at "PACIFIC BELL INC." I've never heard of this before, so I googled it and it looks like it's a franchise of Taco Bell. I was driving to work at 7:59am this morning, didn't stop anywhere for food at all... nobody is an AU on my account and I have the only physical cards. The charge was for $6.21. Even though is was a small charge, I know I didn't do it... so I immediately reported it to Chase as fraud and the account was closed to prevent any further charges. The charge was still in a pending state since it happened this morning. I haven't been through this before, so my questions are...

1.) Should I have waited until the transaction posted to report it, or even reported it at all since it was such a small amount?

2.) Is reporting the fraud going to impact my credit at all?

3.) My card has never left my wallet unless I use it, then it goes right back in... and I haven't lost my wallet or let anyone else use it. How could this have happened?

Thanks

EQ: 807 | TU: 823 | EX: 817
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Fraud

Do you have a RFID protection wallet? There are phone apps that allow people to steal your cc info electronically just by walking past you. You did the right thing reporting it right away. Theywere probably testing that the card worked in preparation of a big shopping spree.

I don't think it will affect your credit. I assume they just shut down that number and are going to issue you a new card? Others will know more about that, though.

Message 2 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DomLS3 wrote:

I have had my Ritz card for a little over 6 months now. This morning I get an email from my alerts saying that my card was swiped at 7:59am at "PACIFIC BELL INC." I've never heard of this before, so I googled it and it looks like it's a franchise of Taco Bell. I was driving to work at 7:59am this morning, didn't stop anywhere for food at all... nobody is an AU on my account and I have the only physical cards. The charge was for $6.21. Even though is was a small charge, I know I didn't do it... so I immediately reported it to Chase as fraud and the account was closed to prevent any further charges. The charge was still in a pending state since it happened this morning. I haven't been through this before, so my questions are...

1.) Should I have waited until the transaction posted to report it, or even reported it at all since it was such a small amount?

3.) My card has never left my wallet unless I use it, then it goes right back in... and I haven't lost my wallet or let anyone else use it. How could this have happened?

Thanks

Pacific Bell or Pacific Bells?  The latter is part of Taco Bell, the former is AT&T,    But if you didn't make the charge anyway, doesn't really matter!

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should always report them as soon as you see them - posted or not.  Now Chase can block the charge from "batching out" and keep from having to do a chargeback on the merchant's account to get the money returned.  Hopefully the merchant is an honest one - just with a poorly trained or possibly dishonest employee - and can use this to make sure his cashiers don't cause him any other problems in the future.

Nope.  You disputed a charge, you did not disupte a debt.  It won't reflect on your credit reports at all.

Have you ever used it at a restaurant where the waiter takes your card away in a little black folder and then brings it back to you?

Have you ever handed it to a pizza delivery guy to "rub" an imprint of the card onto the receipt that he takes back to the shop?

Have you ever used it over the phone to order Chinese food?

Have you ever handed it to someone at a store counter who told you they were having trouble swiping it and entered the number by hand?

Have you ever ....

There are lots and lots of ways.  It only takes someone half a minute with the card to write down the number and the expiration, and get the code from the back. With that information and a fairly good guess at your zip code, they can run a manual transaction on any credit card terminal that allows one, which is most of them.  That's why lenders have to have large fraud departments to handle this kind of thing.

Be glad yours was for $6 - I've been hit twice, once for $800 and once for $3500.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 13
Dishpro
Regular Contributor

It's not likely that anybody wrote down your card info or made an imprint. It's much more high tech than that. They use a device that can scan your card info as you walk past the thief. It could also be stolen from any device that is used to swipe your card info. Thieves can replace the card reader with a device of thier own and steal your card info. Also, reporting fraud will not affect your credit and always report fraud as soon as you become aware of it.

Starting Score:
Current Score: FICO TU 725 FICO EQ 735 EX 754
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you have a RFID protection wallet? There are phone apps that allow people to steal your cc info electronically just by walking past you. You did the right thing reporting it right away. Theywere probably testing that the card worked in preparation of a big shopping spree.

I don't think it will affect your credit. I assume they just shut down that number and are going to issue you a new card? Others will know more about that, though.

Most US cards don't have RFID capabilities.  Does the Ritz card?

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, it isn't always the high-tech stuff you see on tv...

Both of my instances were done manually.

Once was about eight years ago, before chip cards and all of that - the waiter we tracked it back to was charged driminally and all.  He'd been doing it a while and I wasn't his only target.  He rang up $800 in charges on my card in that night in the hours after he got off work, and he even signed his own name to the receipt.  Which is why we caught him.

Second one was last year, and the card information was captured somehow - still not sure how - but it was entered manually into a credit card terminal at a local hardware/supply shop for $3500 in "misc merch," so they assume it was an employee or perhaps the owner who was in on the deal helping a friend who stole my card info - because I had never been in the store in my life, didn't even know where it was.  The receipt was unsigned, so of course they charged it back and all, but I don't know if they ever found out who it actually was.

Message 7 of 13
DomLS3
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My concern is that the Chase rep told me that since they had to close this account, that it would show up on my credit report that it was closed, and that the new account that opens would also show up. I know closing/opening new accounts can certainly impact scores, and I don't believe she mentioned anything about a credit report being pulled, so... if what she says is accurate and the old account closure and new account opening do show up on my credit report soon, that alone won't impact my score?

Thanks

EQ: 807 | TU: 823 | EX: 817
Message 8 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DomLS3 wrote:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My concern is that the Chase rep told me that since they had to close this account, that it would show up on my credit report that it was closed, and that the new account that opens would also show up. I know closing/opening new accounts can certainly impact scores, and I don't believe she mentioned anything about a credit report being pulled, so... if what she says is accurate and the old account closure and new account opening do show up on my credit report soon, that alone won't impact my score?

Thanks

In these situations, the new account inherits the opening date of the old one, so there is no impact.  In fact, it's likely that nothing will change on your credit report.  If you look, the record shows you have a Chase account, opened at a certain time, with a CL and payment history.   The actual chase account number doesn't appear.   Your "new" card will just be attached to this record

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had fraud on my Capital One card this week in another country.  Capital One issues different numbers for different authorized users.  Only an authorized user uses this account, but it was MY number that had fraud on it.  My number hadn't been used in over a year. I do not carry the card now.

So it was no high-tech sci-fi gadget that scanned my purse or forgetful waiter who wrote down my number (unless he did it a long time ago and just found his notes).  In my case, I think it has to be that a website I used over a year ago recently got hacked. 

Capital One closed that number and issued me a new card. No big deal.  They caught it quickly too. I'm impressed.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.