Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Fraud

tag
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Fraud

@Anonymous wrote:

That's silly.  If they wanted to steal, they would on DDAs and not CCs..

its easier that way too

chase employees for the most part, do not have access to all of the info needed to make transactions these days on CCs as they do on bank accounts.  There are also safeguards on the system and your accounts; so that employees cannot go in and do "thieving employees" acts.

i have been online shopping for the past decade, all over--yahoo! auctions in Japan, eBay, Amazon, netaporter, colette, ssense, etc... Never ever had any cards compromised until recently. And they weren't chase cards they were citi (2x) and discover (1x).

since then, I've made account alerts do anything over $1 gets texted to me and as soon as I don't recognize a transaction, I shut that down ASAP.

with the chip in place now, I'm not sure why it's such a big deal in regards to credit card fraud, esp since you aren't liable and neither is the cc company (most merchants are still swiping and not inserting chip).

I would, again, be more wary of possible fraud on bank accounts than cc. 

also have had clients with over 6 (to 7) figures in cash, in bank, hand over their pw to me because they wanted me to handle things. 

another lifetime

Did something change recently? I've never heard of non-Japan issued cards being used on Yahoo! Auctions Japan. I used to use my Japan bank account and Japan issued Visa for the Kantan payment. 

You will never get rid of online fraud sadly. I still swipe at half the places I shop (Publix still doesn't have the chip readers working -- at least the ones in my area). I think I still swipe at Panera too. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 31 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Appreciate this thread and the many posts! Depresses me. In 1982 when we used to be told to write your account number on the top edge of your check (snail mailed the check and paper billing stub then) so if the billing stub was separated from the check they could still apply it to the right account. Ok the story is that a National Bank processed the transaction and my account number was stolen for $287 worth of 9xx area code calls. How you ask? Well it turns out that employees in the Federal Reserve stole the account number off the top edge of my check. Received paper work in the mail which I signed and the bank prosecuted them for fraud. Note now, this was 1982 and the Federal Reserve Bank. Who can you trust?

Message 32 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spider15 wrote:

Appreciate this thread and the many posts! Depresses me. In 1982 when we used to be told to write your account number on the top edge of your check (snail mailed the check and paper billing stub then) so if the billing stub was separated from the check they could still apply it to the right account. Ok the story is that a National Bank processed the transaction and my account number was stolen for $287 worth of 9xx area code calls. How you ask? Well it turns out that employees in the Federal Reserve stole the account number off the top edge of my check. Received paper work in the mail which I signed and the bank prosecuted them for fraud. Note now, this was 1982 and the Federal Reserve Bank. Who can you trust?

Wow.. Sorry to hear.  You can't trust anyone.  In one of the local branches I go to one of the sr. bankers was on the local news. He withdrew over 200k from people's account over the course of 2 years..

It is shocking because he is one of the nicest person in the branch when you go in.  Greeting people and always offering to help you know... We just have ot be extra careful.

Message 33 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

its easier that way too

chase employees for the most part, do not have access to all of the info needed to make transactions these days on CCs as they do on bank accounts.  There are also safeguards on the system and your accounts; so that employees cannot go in and do "thieving employees" acts.

i have been online shopping for the past decade, all over--yahoo! auctions in Japan, eBay, Amazon, netaporter, colette, ssense, etc... Never ever had any cards compromised until recently. And they weren't chase cards they were citi (2x) and discover (1x).

since then, I've made account alerts do anything over $1 gets texted to me and as soon as I don't recognize a transaction, I shut that down ASAP.

with the chip in place now, I'm not sure why it's such a big deal in regards to credit card fraud, esp since you aren't liable and neither is the cc company (most merchants are still swiping and not inserting chip).

also have had clients with over 6 (to 7) figures in cash, in bank, hand over their pw to me because they wanted me to handle things. 

another lifetime

Did you read the article posted thus http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/nyregion/2-bankers-charged-with-creating-atm-cards-to-steal-from-accounts.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0 and I used to work at  a bank you know.  I can tell you stories.  Restricted accounts cannot be assessed but one can override it if they have the authority.

The money these people took where from DDAs and other accounts.

Uh yes.

Now I did but that says ATM cards, again with dda and this thread is on CC fraud 

Also for the other folks that replied, sorry I haven't mastered mutliple quote on mobile even when I switch to full version (I'm a noob like that).

federal reserve employee stealing your account number? Again, sorry that happened but that's why they stopped putting account numbers on things, and switch over to a personal number that uniquely identifies you versus social security number (when they can help it)

I also know that certain stuff can be lifted with dual control or higher authority BUT the fact that those employees got caught is just proof that the system in place works. If you worked at a bank you may or may not know but every employee move is tracked. Even on the most basic level eg teller, they can see everything basic. By basic I mean name, addy, social, date of birth, accounts held, transaction in accounts,etc.  this has been going on for decades. it's so rare that you have those folks stealing and messing with your information, it's actually more common for bank robberies to be done by inside employees than it is for those employees to make off with a couple hundred or couple thousand of your $$ or sell your info for that amount. It's just not worth it. Does that mean it can't happen? No. That's like saying fedex employees aren't going to steal the inside contents of your package and reseal it with rocks inside.

As for online purchases, generally there's a destination right? So if someone purchased something online with my card and I catch it ASAP (because I have the alerts for any purchase over $1)--the cc company shuts it down and hopefully it's fast enough that the perp never even gets the goods because the merchant sees the chargeback and doesn't ship.

if I didn't do my due diligence to let the cc know ASAP or maybe, since most aren't like me, the alerts aren't in place...still, with online shopping there is a trail to follow. Believe me when the charge is substantial--the cc company will demand proof or the merchant eats it.

Having worked in a retail chain (think michael kors) where that type of charge back was made, we had to go through our receipts (we keep a year's worth--each box holds a months' worth of paperwork) to make sure we get an autograph (you'll be surprised by how many copies go unsigned if not careful) and send it to the cc company to fight. the. dispute.

so I don't think having a chip for online purchases is 100% necessary compared to someone that physically walks into a B&M and leaves with the goods there and then.

Message 34 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

*when I say every employees move is tracked I mean on camera and also in electronic form. And majority (99.8%) of the employees there doesn't have the cells to know how to get around it. So if they looked into your account and than suddenly large sums is transferred out via small trial deposits into an online account that than is closed once the funds are transferred...they'll know who

Message 35 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callandra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

its easier that way too

another lifetime

Did something change recently? I've never heard of non-Japan issued cards being used on Yahoo! Auctions Japan. I used to use my Japan bank account and Japan issued Visa for the Kantan payment. 

You will never get rid of online fraud sadly. I still swipe at half the places I shop (Publix still doesn't have the chip readers working -- at least the ones in my area). I think I still swipe at Panera too. 

I have someone bid for me Smiley Happy and than I pay him via PayPal linked to my cc. He is nice enough to put candy along with my package and I pay him a small fee to help me.

im horrible enough trying to win auctions here on eBay, that I leave the sniping to pros like him.

Message 36 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

*when I say every employees move is tracked I mean on camera and also in electronic form. And majority (99.8%) of the employees there doesn't have the cells to know how to get around it. So if they looked into your account and than suddenly large sums is transferred out via small trial deposits into an online account that than is closed once the funds are transferred...they'll know who

You are aware that most of the cameras which I can't go into detail for security reasons are not placed on the employees right?  They are on the customer, the vault, the main entrance, entrance of sefery deposit box etc...

For tracking employees, not everything under the login is tracked as you are purporting to be. If it is, we won't have this this thread / article in the first place.

Message 37 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

its easier that way too

another lifetime

Did you read the article posted thus http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/nyregion/2-bankers-charged-with-creating-atm-cards-to-steal-from-accounts.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0 and I used to work at  a bank you know.  I can tell you stories.  Restricted accounts cannot be assessed but one can override it if they have the authority.

Uh yes.

Now I did but that says ATM cards, again with dda and this thread is on CC fraud 

Also for the other folks that replied, sorry I haven't mastered mutliple quote on mobile even when I switch to full version (I'm a noob like that).

federal reserve employee stealing your account number? Again, sorry that happened but that's why they stopped putting account numbers on things, and switch over to a personal number that uniquely identifies you versus social security number (when they can help it)

I also know that certain stuff can be lifted with dual control or higher authority BUT the fact that those employees got caught is just proof that the system in place works. If you worked at a bank you may or may not know but every employee move is tracked. Even on the most basic level eg teller, they can see everything basic. By basic I mean name, addy, social, date of birth, accounts held, transaction in accounts,etc.  this has been going on for decades. it's so rare that you have those folks stealing and messing with your information, it's actually more common for bank robberies to be done by inside employees than it is for those employees to make off with a couple hundred or couple thousand of your $$ or sell your info for that amount. It's just not worth it. Does that mean it can't happen? No. That's like saying fedex employees aren't going to steal the inside contents of your package and reseal it with rocks inside.

As for online purchases, generally there's a destination right? So if someone purchased something online with my card and I catch it ASAP (because I have the alerts for any purchase over $1)--the cc company shuts it down and hopefully it's fast enough that the perp never even gets the goods because the merchant sees the chargeback and doesn't ship.

if I didn't do my due diligence to let the cc know ASAP or maybe, since most aren't like me, the alerts aren't in place...still, with online shopping there is a trail to follow. Believe me when the charge is substantial--the cc company will demand proof or the merchant eats it.

Having worked in a retail chain (think michael kors) where that type of charge back was made, we had to go through our receipts (we keep a year's worth--each box holds a months' worth of paperwork) to make sure we get an autograph (you'll be surprised by how many copies go unsigned if not careful) and send it to the cc company to fight. the. dispute.

so I don't think having a chip for online purchases is 100% necessary compared to someone that physically walks into a B&M and leaves with the goods there and then.

And if the fraud can be committed using ATM cards, it can be replicated on money market accounts, savings, checking etc... 

Message 38 of 48
vegastim13
New Contributor

Now that this thread came up, I feel like I was wrong at blaming Disney! I got the Disney Visa for the sign up bonus, purchased Disney tix and used it in the parks 5-8 times and that was it. Came home and there was fraud on my account a week later. I thought it crazy because I hardly used the card but oh well...now at least I'm more certain it wasn't some scum trying to steal from people from Disney.
Message 39 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes-Its-Me wrote:

Rainafterthesun wrote:

Yes-Its-Me wrote:

Rainafterthesun wrote:

its easier that way too

another lifetime

Did you read the article posted thus http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/nyregion/2-bankers-charged-with-creating-atm-cards-to-steal-from-a... I used to work at  a bank you know.  I can tell you stories.  Restricted accounts cannot be assessed but one can override it if they have the authority.

Uh yes.

And if the fraud can be committed using ATM cards, it can be replicated on money market accounts, savings, checking etc... 

you do realize that my first post said I'd be more worried about DDA fraud (which is what ATM cards are linked to and ironically enough there were a few folks i met who INSISTED on atm cards over debit cards because of liability and fraud) than cc fraud right?? and this topic is in a credit card section... on chase cc fraud...

also yes, of course you wouldn't have cameras over certain places in a bank (eg the banker's desk or bathroom) but there are cameras at the atm, lobby, behind the teller desk, at the manager's desk, etc... and how do you think they caught onto the BofA tellers that were skimming off the top of their cashbox? not because of a whistle blower.  auditors go back 3 months' worth of film before going in to check their paperwork, their operations and proceedures and so forth.

again, its more common to have fedex stealing your rolex than it is to have an employee at a bank stealing your money. doesn't mean that former and latter doesn't happen...but there is a reason why if you order from Hermes, it doesn't say Hermes on the return label but H.com and why its sealed in complete foil bag instead of the usual flap back on bag packages...or tape over boxes (that can be resealed)...I've seen boxes that are "untampered" with but thats because the employee snuck their hands in and stole...can't describe it but I certainly can show you if we ever met IRL

Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.