Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freddom EMV out already?

tag
frugal47374
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Freddom EMV out already?

@kdm31091 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but even after EMV is mainstream, you will still be able to slide your card?Not that you would want to, but you know how some people are stubborn and hang onto old methods. Because even the EMV cards still have a stripe. Or is the stripe going away completely?

The stripe will be on your card for quite some time

But when EMV is properly enabled, if you try to swipe a card with a chip, it will be rejected and you will be told to insert the chip.

Message 11 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Gotcha. I guess the stubborn ones are going to have to figure it out.

I work in retail, so I know I'm cynical, but I can just picture the long line of old ladies (well, and men really) struggling to figure out how to insert a chip card and will scream at me because they'd rather slide it. lol

Message 12 of 19
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I work in retail, so I know I'm cynical, but I can just picture the long line of old ladies (well, and men really) struggling to figure out how to insert a chip card and will scream at me because they'd rather slide it. lol

For me its actually the retailers that are part of the problem with emv adoption. An lot of the store i goto have the machines that support emv, but none of them are turned on. I would think easing people in gradually would be better than forcing it upon them when deadline approcahes in october. Who knows though. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Omg! That will be me and I am NOT an old lady. Almost 50, but that is not old by any means.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to all the answers. the other day i went to pay for my GF manicure and pedicure with my BOA  Cash Rewards and boom they did not swipe it. instead they put it in a little terminal and left it there for like a minute and then it came the receipt as approved ...EMV ?

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Retailer better get on it!

Message 16 of 19
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Yes, you can ask them and they will send you the EMV version

For what it's worth, I've seen very few stores with the EMV functionality actually turned on at the register. It seems like most have the tech in place, but few are actually enabling it right now, so I don't see the big rush

True, but the retailers better start changing over soon.  Time flies and the changeover will be upon them.

I am no longer convinced most US merchants will change by October. I think most will just eat the fraud costs, at LEAST in the short term. Many may never switch.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 17 of 19
nyancat
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Yeah, I agree that since the tech is in place in many places, why not turn it on and let people who wanna use it, use it? Iron out the kinks?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even after EMV is mainstream, you will still be able to slide your card?Not that you would want to, but you know how some people are stubborn and hang onto old methods. Because even the EMV cards still have a stripe. Or is the stripe going away completely?

Once EMV is PROPERLY enabled (cough, Walmart, cough still lets you swipe even though they can read the chip) you will NOT be able to swipe an EMV card.

And you can't just "turn it on" you need a bunch of certifications merchants have expected to just magically appear overnight, and now they're scrambling that they haven't. And many, I believe, have just given up and decided not to bother. Some (like Wendy's) have publically stated they plan to not bother (though that was a couple years ago, before all the big breaches).

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 18 of 19
nyancat
Established Contributor

Yes, and I can almost guarantee you they were using First Data as their processor with the FD130 terminal (other EMV-enabled First Data terminals have a customer-facing PIN pad). They're about the only company with EMV-enabled setups today. I think some brand new Elavon accounts might be?

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.