Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Free Cash Rewards Visa

tag
heirophant
Established Contributor

Chase Free Cash Rewards Visa

So, I called Chase because I was interested in doing a product change to the Chase Freedom Visa  from my regular Chase Platinum Visa.  After talking with them and explaining what I wanted to do, the rep told me I didn't qualify for the Chase Freedom at this time (don't worry, I didn't let them do any pulls), but he could convert my card into a Chase Free Cash Rewards Visa.  It gets 1%, has a 60000/year point cap (which I could never dream of reaching), and the points expire after 2 years.  Every 2500 points is $25 cash.  So, I didn't get exactly what I wanted, but he said to give it another 6 months to a year and call back and I may then be eligible for the Freedom.  Anyway, the cool part is that now I at least get some rewards to go with my crappy 18.99% rate (I never carry a balance on my Chase card because of the interest rate, so I thought I should get a rewards program) and he said when I do convert, the points will transfer to my Freedom Card.  Also, I get to keep the same account number, so that is great.

I didn't even think the Chase Free Cash Rewards existed anymore.  Its not on their website.  It must be a legacy product they are no longer promoting.  I can't find an application for the card anywhere.

Message Edited by heirophant on 12-19-2008 10:17 AM
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Free Cash Rewards Visa

Both of my Chase Freedom cards were originally Chase Free Cash Rewards Visas. 

Can you take advantage of Chase Rewards Plus with that card? 

EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 2 of 8
heirophant
Established Contributor

I don't know the difference or even what that is.  I had not even heard of this card before talking to a Chase CSR.

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 3 of 8
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

You earn bonus points, usually for online purchases, with this program.  These points are in addition to your regular purchase points.  You can look at the website here:

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/shared/marketing/page/chaserewardsplus

EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 4 of 8
heirophant
Established Contributor

Yup, it lets me log in and my account shows up on the left-hand side and everything, so it appears I can earn bonus rewards on the site.  Sweet!  THanks for the heads up.  Also, what did you think of the Chase Cash Rewards Visa overall?  It doesn't seem like a bad program after reading the disclosures on the Chase website.

Mortgage 11/20
Message 5 of 8
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

I liked the Free Cash Rewards card.  Granted, I do earn points faster with Chase Freedom.  However, I liked the Free Cash Rewards card better than my BoA WorldPoints card.  With BoA WorldPoints, you earn 1 point for every $1 spent, but you need 5000 points to earn a $25 reward. 

You might want to check to see if any of your local merchants are listed on the Chase Rewards Plus website.  Last week, I needed printer ink.  Best Buy has the option of purchasing merchandise online and picking it up in the store.  At Best Buy, you earn an extra 3% rewards shopping through Chase Rewards Plus.  I purchased my printer ink online (through the Chase Rewards Plus website) and picked up my order in the store.  I earned an extra 3% shopping that way. 

EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 6 of 8
heirophant
Established Contributor

I will definetely make sure to do things like that with the big box stores.  That is a very clever idea. 

Anyone know if I am correct in assuming you can't apply for this card anymore?  I don't see an app anywhere.  I have even googled it.  I'm just suprised you can even get it if it is not a card they are offering to the general public anymore.

Message Edited by heirophant on 12-19-2008 01:28 PM

Mortgage 11/20
Message 7 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@psychic wrote:

With BoA WorldPoints, you earn 1 point for every $1 spent, but you need 5000 points to earn a $25 reward. 

Really? That's 0.5% cash back, which isn't really that good. I didn't know you could redeem BOA WPs for a credit. 

Here we go again...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.