Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom 2016 Categories are Posted

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom 2016 Categories are Posted

Link is here if anyone wants to take a look themselves...transportation, groceries, restaurants, shopping Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom 2016 Categories are Posted

Thanks for sharing. I like these categories. My Freedom will get some good usage until at least September.

Message 2 of 39
BigBS
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for sharing. I like these categories. My Freedom will get some good usage until at least September.

Conversely, mine won't get any usage until 3rd Quarter.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BigBS wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Conversely, mine won't get any usage until 3rd Quarter.

Sadly for my Freedom Discover It double cashback has made it somewhat obsolete for the year.  Only chance of using my Freedom is when it doesn't match Discover categories. 

Message 4 of 39
Brenex
Valued Member

*EDIT* I can't find where I had gotten my information

It seems Discover and Chase both have gas for the first quarter making it a toss up. The only one not being a real hit is the poor dividend card lol. Interestingly enough though, the things it does have bonus categories in I do use regularly so I just have to remember about which categories are in effect for it.

Here are the 3 cards and their 2016 lineup so-far if anyone wants to compare them without having to look elsewhere:

Chase:

January to March - Gas and Local Ground Transportation (no tolls)

April to June - Grocery Stores

July to September - Restaurants

October to December - Holiday Shopping

Discover:

January to March - Gas and Ground Transportation

Citi:

January to March - Home Depot and Home Furnishing Stores

April to June - Drug Stores and Fitness Clubs

July to September - Hiltons and Car Rentals

October to December - Best Buy and Department Stores

Message 5 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DFLeiva wrote:

While Discover and Chase both have gas for the first quarter making it a toss up, the next two quarters augment each other nicely with grocery stores in Q2 for Chase and restaurants in Q2 for Discover and then restaurants and gas in Q3 for each respectively. The only one not being a real hit is the poor dividend card lol. Interestingly enough though, the things it does have bonus categories in I do use regularly so I just have to remember about which categories are in effect for it.

Here are the 3 cards and their 2016 lineup if anyone wants to compare them without having to look elsewhere:

Chase:

January to March - Gas and Local Ground Transportation (no tolls)

April to June - Grocery Stores

July to September - Restaurants

October to December - Holiday Shopping

Discover:

January to March - Gas and Ground Transportation

April to June - Restaurants

July to September - Gas

October to December - Amazon

Citi:

January to March - Home Depot and Home Furnishing Stores

April to June - Drug Stores and Fitness Clubs

July to September - Hiltons and Car Rentals

October to December - Best Buy and Department Stores

Link/source of Discover 2016 categories, please?  I can't seem to find them anywhere...I thought they've always been pretty secretive about future categories.  Or are you just assuming they'll be the same as this year's lineup?

Message 6 of 39
delaney1
Established Contributor

Glad groceries are back!

Message 7 of 39
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks OP

Message 8 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting! Glad they're not mirroring Discover in Q2 and Q3, that makes the Freedom far more appealing.
Message 9 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Q1 2016 5% Cash Back Categories

Logged into my account today figuring it should be about time to announce the categories for next quarter.  It doesn't show on the main website, but does show under Ultimate Rewards when I Iogged in.  The Activate button never showed, but at least they've said what they are.  I didn't see another post about this yet, so mods feel free to combine/lock if there has already been a discussion about this that I missed.

Looks like the Q1 2016 5% Categories are:

• Gas Stations
  • Local Commuter Transportation***

***Includes taxis, subways, local commuter buses and trains; does not include parking, tolls, and Amtrak purchases.

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.