Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom..4 years and still not CLI

tag
forceedge99
Contributor

Chase Freedom..4 years and still not CLI

I've had a measly 800 credit limit from chase for AWHILE now with no increase.

Note my other cards are all around 10k now

So It sets me back from using the chase card. I usually just charge my phone bill to it, if that (75 bucks) because I don't want a high Utilization Ratio.

Any ideas on how to get an increase WITHOUT a hard pull?

BCE - 12k
Cap 1 QuickSilver - 1.75k
Citi Dividend - 2.4k
Discover It - 2k
Chase - 800
Your FICO® score at Equifax is 725 (Update: Increased to 751) =]
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom..4 years and still not CLI

@forceedge99 wrote:

So It sets me back from using the chase card. I usually just charge my phone bill to it, if that (75 bucks) because I don't want a high Utilization Ratio.

Any ideas on how to get an increase WITHOUT a hard oul?

Is this case. after 4 years. I would escalate it to the EO without any doubt. you have been model customer. or you can always take another route. App for another chase card. get high limit. Then move some limit over to your freedom. This seems to be the easiest. but that involves another HP. which you don't want. really don't know why some are against hp. but i understand. just escalate this case. 4 years of punishment. or max it out, let it report and maybe they do auto cli. it will not kill your score. only after pay it off.

Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think you can get a CLI with Chase without a HP unless it's an auto increase. You may just have to bite the bullet and take that pull.

Message 3 of 31
forceedge99
Contributor

Yes that's what I'm looking for, an auto increase.

not looking for a hard pull at the moment.

but you're  suggesting to max the card out?

BCE - 12k
Cap 1 QuickSilver - 1.75k
Citi Dividend - 2.4k
Discover It - 2k
Chase - 800
Your FICO® score at Equifax is 725 (Update: Increased to 751) =]
Message 4 of 31
taxi818
Super Contributor

@forceedge99 wrote:

Yes that's what I'm looking for, an auto increase.

not looking for a hard pull at the moment.

but you're  suggesting to max the card out?

Yes. that is exactly what im suggesting. and let it report the balance as well. Remember. utilization has no memory. by only using it for 75 a month. you are not showing a need for a cli. it appears that seems to be fine. Other way is to max that puppy. and pay 3 to 5 times minimum. and keep maxing. without paying in full. and more than likely they will see the need. or the computer will.

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would just call and be nice about it. Say  ''My card was declined today and find that my current credit limit does not cater me and had to use my other cards in which have twice the limits of my Chase Freedom and was wondering looking at my account if you see anywhere that i be eligible  for a credit limit increase without a hard inquiry?''  Worst scenario is they say no. Call again until you find someone nice.  Last resort, call to cancel it and wait until they ask you why....say ''I had been a customer for such long time and never had an auto increase. I don’t want to cancel my card but a credit card with _____ limit  just no longer fits my portfolio.''

if they don't ask you why - hangup lol Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 31
mssher
New Contributor

This is exactly why I just cancelled my Chase Freedom after they double hard-pulled me and STILL declined my request for a CLI!!!! Best of luck to you!!

USAA AmEx 17,000 | USAA Visa 14,500 | BOA Visa 10,000 | BOA World MC 10,000 | Fifth Third 9,000 | Discover IT 13,500 | Barclay Apple Rewards 6,440 | AMEX BCE 6,000 | Citi DC 6,3000 | US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig 5,000 | PenFed Visa Sig 5,000 | Alliant Visa 5,000 | Citi Sears 5,000 | State Farm Visa Sig 5,000 | CapOne QS 5,250 | Firestone 2,200 | Kohls 2,000 |
FICO 8: EX 782 - EQ 794 - TU 796 *** Goal: Decrease Number of Cards to 12 + store cards ***
Message 7 of 31
kdm31091
Super Contributor

This isn't really unusual with Chase. They simply are not big on CLI. People have the same limit for years and years with them.

You can take a HP and ask for a CLI but really, no guarantee

Message 8 of 31
NRB525
Super Contributor

@forceedge99 wrote:

Any ideas on how to get an increase WITHOUT a hard pull?

I don't think there's a way to get the CLI without the HP, but I agree with Taxi: No reason not to max it out. It's only $800 limit. Your scores can handle it. I don't think the Utilization Monster will get you Smiley Happy

If it makes you feel any better, my Freedom card was $3,500 until Chase CLD me after 2008, in a couple of steps to $1,500 where it has sat for years now. And yet, lately after I've discovered they are giving me 10 points per swipe plus the 10% bonus points for having checking, I find it irresistable to pay for $2 coffees and bonus category spend of 5 gallons of gas for "top ups" every few days, while that lasts.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've found the easiest thing to do with Chase is get a new card and move the limit over, and cancel the card you don't want. You can't do this too frequently, though.

With heavy usage they definitely give larger HP CLI's, I went from $6,500 to $10,000 on my Freedom and $5,000 to $8,000 on my CSP this week, although no luck with APR reductions.

I have never received a SP CLI from Chase.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.