Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom - 5% Drug store disappointment

tag
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom - 5% Drug store disappointment

@red259 wrote:

If you fill a prescription at a CVS will you get the 5x award?

No.

The other part of this is that if you use your Target RedCard - which gives you 5% off Target purchases - they don't count at the CVS inside the Target either.

Message 11 of 28
red259
Super Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

@red259 wrote:

No.

The other part of this is that if you use your Target RedCard - which gives you 5% off Target purchases - they don't count at the CVS inside the Target either.

Just to be clear because you mentioned target. I am asking about if you fill a prescription at a stand alone CVS (nothing to do with target at all) would that not count as a 5x category?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 28
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

@red259 wrote:

No.

Just to be clear because you mentioned target. I am asking about if you fill a prescription at a stand alone CVS (nothing to do with target at all) would that not count as a 5x category?

My apologies, yes, at a standalone CVS you would get 5%.  I've already done this myself this quarter.

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie status. This is common knowledge among rewards enthusiasts. Better luck next time
Message 14 of 28
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure how Visa codes Target. But in AMEX terminology, Target is a "superstore." That means that it won't earn department store, grocery store, or drug store rewards.

If you get your prescription at Target during the right quarter, though, you'll probably be able to get the 5% reward. It's just that the drug store quarter isn't it.

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Newbie status. This is common knowledge among rewards enthusiasts. Better luck next time

Newby to the Freedom. My ROI on my portfolio last year was nearly 10% of my total spend. Not bad for a "newby". 

Message 16 of 28
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

"Does not include merchants that sell a wide variety of goods including prescription drugs and over-the-counter medicines, supplements and various health-related items, and which may contain an on-site pharmacy, for example, warehouse clubs, discount stores, or grocery stores. For more information, please see Chase Freedom Frequently Asked Questions."

So, MOST of them don't count.  

This would be one of the major reasons I don't like the category-rewards game.

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So Q2 2017's 5% categories on the Chase Freedom are grocery  and drug stores. I went to pick up a couple of prescriptions from the CVS at Target today and found out that apparently brand drugstores based at wholesale clubs, superstores and grocery stores DON'T COUNT!!! What the heck? This was a valid CVS. Not pleased! Other Freedom holders beware! Has anyone else been burned by this? I use my AMEX BCP for groceries so am disappointed by this quarter Smiley Sad 

Yeah, the register at the CVS inside Target is in fact a Target cash register - If you have a card with a high reward% for grocery you can always buy Target Gift Cards at the grocery store for use at the CVS inside Target - those work JUST fine  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So Q2 2017's 5% categories on the Chase Freedom are grocery  and drug stores. I went to pick up a couple of prescriptions from the CVS at Target today and found out that apparently brand drugstores based at wholesale clubs, superstores and grocery stores DON'T COUNT!!! What the heck? This was a valid CVS. Not pleased! Other Freedom holders beware! Has anyone else been burned by this? I use my AMEX BCP for groceries so am disappointed by this quarter Smiley Sad 

Yeah, the register at the CVS inside Target is in fact a Target cash register - If you have a card with a high reward% for grocery you can always buy Target Gift Cards at the grocery store for use at the CVS inside Target - those work JUST fine  Smiley Happy

If you are going to do that, much better to buy discount Target gift cards online

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand why. If they allowed it than i could walk in to Walgreens and buy my smokes and get 5% back on cigarettes-just as an example.

If
You really want the 5% get your scripts st the doctor for the next 3 months.
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.