cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom App - Denied - Recon Later

tag
JL421

Chase Freedom App - Denied - Recon Later

I applied for a Chase Freedom card on Monday, and got the 10 day review message. Yesterday I called the backdoor analyst number to see if they needed any additional information as I had moved recently. The rep came back and told me that I was denied because of high util on both my cards. I mentioned that that would be old information as I had paid my util down from 93% to 40% in the last month. She said I was welcome to call back any time in the next 30 days for a recon.

My credit profile on the 1st has a 628 TU FICO, 597 EQ FICO, and a 679 EX Plus score. It still shows me as having 93% util, 6 TU inquiries, 7 EQ inquiries, and 3 EX inquiries in the last year. My oldest account is a Cap 1 Platium with a $750 CL that is 2 years old, I also have a Citi Platium Select with a $1,600 CL that's 7 months old. AAoA is 0.9 years. I also have an installment loan with my bank for $2k that's 8 months old and has $540 left.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out what they are going to ask, and what I should say when going for a recon.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom App - Denied - Recon Later

@JL421 wrote:

I applied for a Chase Freedom card on Monday, and got the 10 day review message. Yesterday I called the backdoor analyst number to see if they needed any additional information as I had moved recently. The rep came back and told me that I was denied because of high util on both my cards. I mentioned that that would be old information as I had paid my util down from 93% to 40% in the last month. She said I was welcome to call back any time in the next 30 days for a recon.

My credit profile on the 1st has a 628 TU FICO, 597 EQ FICO, and a 679 EX Plus score. It still shows me as having 93% util, 6 TU inquiries, 7 EQ inquiries, and 3 EX inquiries in the last year. My oldest account is a Cap 1 Platium with a $750 CL that is 2 years old, I also have a Citi Platium Select with a $1,600 CL that's 7 months old. AAoA is 0.9 years. I also have an installment loan with my bank for $2k that's 8 months old and has $540 left.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out what they are going to ask, and what I should say when going for a recon.

If you go in for a second recon with your util paid down, they will most likely repull you, as the report they pulled isn't going to update magically. 

Message 2 of 16
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

will be another HP to pull the report and there's no garantee's even with your uti lower.  Best chances are to lower it more before getting another HP.  Might as well get it into the teens and app again.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 3 of 16
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

Geez, if this is true why didn't you just wait for your reports to update. At best you're looking at two pulls for a low limit card. 

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 16
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I would wait and just reapply at a later date. If you RECONN within 30 days and your credit hasn't really improved much...you're going to waste another HP and its not guaranteed they are going to approve you. Pay down your UTIL...check your reports before you apply to make sure your credit is accurately reporting info then reapply.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

You could have them pull a diff report... That's what they did for me...
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 16
JL421

Ok, I've got my util down to 29% and my AAoA is now 1.1 years...Should I call the recon number where they'll do another hp, or just submit a new app?

Message 7 of 16
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I don't know if the balances you paid down would be showing up on your reports that way yet. You could try a recon and explain what has changed. I did that once several years ago and they just asked for my latest CC statement showing the balance change, then I was approved.

Edit- that was with a different bank though, not chase.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 8 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

If you can get it below 20% i'd do the recon. Other than that, I'd pass on it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 16
kwazziee
Regular Contributor

I say wait and apply again at a later time when your utl is below 10%. This way you will not be getting a toy limit.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.