Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom App status....

tag
tburns
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom App status....

Hello,

I applied for the Chase Freedom Card on the 1st. I got the 7-14 day message so I called the backdoor number. The guy was very nice and and said I was denied but tried a few times to get my approved. In the end he said he put it through for re-evaluation and I should get a letter.

At this point I was thinking no chance. The next day I received a letter saying I was denied due to too short of a credit history and too few accounts. I'm guessing this was the denial I was told about on the phone.

But today I received a letter from Chase asking to verify my identity by sending them a copy of my SSN Card and government ID, so they can "Continue their evaluation".

Just wondering if I should keep up hope diminished or do they normally go through all this just to deny me again once they receive it?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom App status....

@tburns wrote:

Hello,

I applied for the Chase Freedom Card on the 1st. I got the 7-14 day message so I called the backdoor number. The guy was very nice and and said I was denied but tried a few times to get my approved. In the end he said he put it through for re-evaluation and I should get a letter.

At this point I was thinking no chance. The next day I received a letter saying I was denied due to too short of a credit history and too few accounts. I'm guessing this was the denial I was told about on the phone.

But today I received a letter from Chase asking to verify my identity by sending them a copy of my SSN Card and government ID, so they can "Continue their evaluation".

Just wondering if I should keep up hope diminished or do they normally go through all this just to deny me again once they receive it?

Your original application that you got the 7-10 days message prompted the letter you received in the mail.  But, since you've already spoke with someone, that letter can be ignored.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tburns wrote:

Hello,

Probably they are trying to approve you.  There is still hope.

Generally they will not request that data unless they want to verify your identity for approval or you have a fraud alert on your credit file.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Say what you want about the backdoor number. Didnt work for me. I had a paid collection from 4 years ago (under 100) and I opened 3 new accounts this year. Score of 691 and turned down after recon. Did no good to plead my case with them. 21 accounts never late and turned down for 1 lousy derog. Income of 145,000.00. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Say what you want about the backdoor number. Didnt work for me. I had a paid collection from 4 years ago (under 100) and I opened 3 new accounts this year. Score of 691 and turned down after recon. Did no good to plead my case with them. 21 accounts never late and turned down for 1 lousy derog. Income of 145,000.00. 

Recon doesn't mean that everybody wins.  There is something obviously more to the story that one 4-year-old paid chargeoff. 

21 accounts and 3 new within a 6 month period might be a reason.  Lenders don't like to see many new accounts opened or the inquiries that go along with them.

Message 5 of 8
tburns
Regular Contributor

I forgot about this post.

Anyways since it's been awhile here's an update if anyone cares. I was approved and received my card about 2 weeks after my last post.

Already got $50 cash back on this card Smiley Happy

So recon worked for me. Would have been a denial if I never called the number.

Message 6 of 8
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Congrats!  I'm still waiting for a decision.

Would you mind sharing your CL?

Edited to add:  when you applied, what was the offered cashback?  I think recently it's $200.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So... get this. I applied for the Chase Freedom card again today. Almost 1 year later. I listened to everything that the gentlemen told me was wrong with my last application. He told me too many new accounts, too many inquiries and they didn't like the collection from 3 years ago. So for the last 9 months -- no new accounts, no new inquiries and the collection is now over 4 years old. My score is actually 709 now and I honestly thought I had a chance. I have 21 lines, all current and never late. I have 2 lines that are at 70% and everything else is paid off completely. I was denied again!! The reason this time after calling recon number was high balances on the 2 accounts. Unreal, unbelievable. He told me to pay those off and then reapply. Whatever. I wasted another hard pull on EX on Chase.

I thought I would apply for Discover and I just got approved today. 2000k CL.. 701 EQ 

Thanks Discover. I don't know what to say about Chase. I am closing my checking accounts with them and moving on.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.