Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom, BCE and other questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom, BCE and other questions

Hello everyone. I'm a reader on this forum, not a poster but I had a question with which I am hoping some of you could help me.

I currently have only two cards (AMEX BCE and TJX Mastercard) and am looking at getting a third. I possibly want to get the Chase Freedom because of the decent bonus offer, the 5% rotating categories (especially for the restaurant quarter) and no AF. However, I was wondering if getting a card like this would be repetitive considering I get a flat 3% on groceries and 2% on gas throughout the year with my AMEX? I have a feeling I may not use it beyond that one quarterly category for restaurants or for places that don't accept AMEX. Is that normal for some people to do?

I am new to the world of credit cards and I just want to make sure I get cards that will benefit my needs best. I also looked at maybe a Discover It but honestly some places around here don't accept Discover or AMEX so I'm looking for a VISA or Mastercard to add to my wallet. 

Are there other good cards without AF (I don't think I spend quite enough to justify a card with one at the moment) that gives good rewards for restaurant spending? Also what are some good cards for travel rewards (again without AF)? 0% intro APR would be nice just for piece of mind even though I don't carry balances from month to month. I'm open to suggestions for either/both. 

My FICO 8 scores are 756 (EQ) 727 (TU) 737 (EX)- these will likely change soon when AMEX reports, right? One inquiry on TU and one on EX. My AMEX card isn't reporting yet (been 2 months now) and my AAoA is around about 5 1/2 years. No baddies. I do have low income as I only currently work part time. I have prequalified for almost every card I have looked into with exception to Citi DC. I don't even know how accurate the prequals are and if posting that even matters lol.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom, BCE and other questions

Freedom is fine. I sock drawer (do not use) the 3% cards when the 5% is running. Freedom tends to have groceries for 5% (right now), while discover does not. Discover has portals that are handy (I do not use them), Freedom not so much. I like both cards, and have both.

If you want rotating categories, then this card will work for you.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^ what they said. Discover is great the first year though. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
Freedom is fine. I sock drawer (do not use) the 3% cards when the 5% is running. Freedom tends to have groceries for 5% (right now), while discover does not. Discover has portals that are handy (I do not use them), Freedom not so much. I like both cards, and have both.

If you want rotating categories, then this card will work for you.

I generally agree with the above statement.  If Discover is still running the double your cash back after the first year promotion I'd push you more to the Discover.  I find I use my Discover far more often than my Chase.  I use the shopping portals heavily and Discover's is always better.  Having said that, you already know you'll run into acceptance issues in your area and both cards are still great cards.  

Good luck on your choice.

EDIT:

One thing I forgot to mention that might be of concern for you and others.  Discover is easier to get a CLI with.  Chase requires a HP each time and doesn't seem to do many auto CLI's.  Where as Discover lets you click the love button any time you want, has always been a SP for me, and bumps me about 1.5k every other month.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the responses! I decided to pull the trigger on the Freedom card and was approved for $1900. I was also approved for a CLI with AMEX for $4700. My APR after introduction for the Freedom is high though. Does anyone know easy it is to get APR reduced down the line with Chase? I read some posts saying it's nearly impossible. I likely won't ever need to worry about it but I figured I'd ask anyways. 

Message 5 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yea APR reductions with Chase are non existent pretty much sadly.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.