Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom CL

tag
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Chase Freedom CL

I recently applied for an Amazon Rewards card and was approved for $500. After going back on forth, I was able to get a Chase Freedom card, maintain the same $500 CL on the new Chase Freedom card.

My thing is, is Chase normally this modest in initial CL's, and how are they when it comes to CLIs in the future? I was approved for Discover and Citi for $2k each, what gives with Chase?
My Wallet (Updated Sept 2023):
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom CL

@YoungMoney06 wrote:
I recently applied for an Amazon Rewards card and was approved for $500. After going back on forth, I was able to get a Chase Freedom card, maintain the same $500 CL on the new Chase Freedom card.

My thing is, is Chase normally this modest in initial CL's, and how are they when it comes to CLIs in the future? I was approved for Discover and Citi for $2k each, what gives with Chase?

As a general rule, Chase likes to see and work with well-established people. They give out quite high CLs, but they often don't want to be the first one to give you a large CL.

Other things may be holding your CL back as well, such as current util, INQs, AAoA, etc.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 12
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Any feedback as to when would be a good time to request a CLI? Three months, six months, etc?
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 3 of 12
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@YoungMoney06 wrote:
Any feedback as to when would be a good time to request a CLI? Three months, six months, etc?

The generally recommended time frame is 6 months. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@YoungMoney06 wrote:
My thing is, is Chase normally this modest in initial CL's

All depends on one's credit.  My initial CL with my first Chase card was $2K.  Next two were $25K each but my utilization drastically changed prior to apping for those 2 cards.  The next two were a bit lower.

Message 5 of 12
elpo9
Regular Contributor

Chase initially opened my Freedom at $400. I immediately called an analyst from the backdoor thread, explained I wanted $1000 to take advantage of a BT offer, and she came back with $2000! I'm now at $2400 from consolidating a Slate card which also started at $400 -- rarely used it, no rewards, high APR...wasn't worth asking for a CLI.

NFCU (7000) | Freedom Visa (2400) | DM (2500) | AMEX Plat (7000) | Amazon.com (1800) | GapCard ($750) | Closed: Barclays (1500) | Cap1 ($750) | BoA 1-2-3 Rewards (2500) | Gardening til mid-autumn 2015 for that Delta Platinum AMEX

Starting Score: 608 (2015) 702 (2012), 653 (2011)
Current Score: 685 699 8/6/11 717 8/30/11 712 12/6/11 714 across the board 1/12/12 685 EX FICO 3/1/14
2018 Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

When you start getting declined or approved for very low limits, it's generally a good idea to stop your app spree...
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 12
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

I kind of figured that eaharu, thing is, the Chase card was actually my FIRST CC
I applied for during my app spree,
So at the time, none of the inquiries were there and the AAOA should have been relatively high before the two GE cards reported.
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 8 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

Did you have any revolving history prior to that? What was your AAoA at that time?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 12
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Give it 6 months and ask for a large cli....they might decline it, but chase is awesome on recons. My first request moved me from my initial 2500 to 5000. Then, I changed my strategy. You see, the csr asked me if I wanted a particular CL, or if I just wanted the computer to give me whatever....I chose the computer, which gave me 500 bucks more. I was thinking "Oh hell no, not in exchange for an hp." So I called to recon, and they said that I couldn't recon an approval. So I sent an email to the EO, and I got the 5k cl. From then on, I was like "I am going to ask for way more than I need, then get declined, then recon--at which time they will give me as much as they are willing to." So this recent time, when the csr asked me if I wanted to ask for a specific number or let the computer decide, I said that I wanted 15k--which was declined. On recon, they offered me 10k. I was expecting 7.5 or 8k. I do apologize for the length, but I hope this helps.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.