Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom CLI recon success!

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Chase Freedom CLI recon success!

My DW is AU on my chase card, and her new job has her reimbursed for expenses every two weeks.  I've only had the card 3 months and it has a 2k limit, but she's ended up keeping the balance between 500 to 1000, bad for util %, and a little too close for comfort.  What if she has a busy month?

I called Chase for a CLI to 5,000.  No back door, just the general 800 number.  The rep was very nice, we chatted a bit while the system processed my hard pull (yes, Chase does it hard) only to find out I was denied.  I told her the reason I called instead of going online was I had a bunch of inquiries from a car loan, and thought I might have to go to a manual review.  I asked her if there was a way to get my request manually reviewed.  She put me on hold to go find out...  And I really think the personal connection made her care just a little bit more, enough to go a little extra for me.

When the next person came on, she put me on hold while she reviewed my report.  She said she had some questions about items on my file, some lates from 4 years ago on a fully paid car loan, and that damn Verizon collection thing that keeps haunting me.  I explained to her what happened with both, how I had made it right with each company, and what I had changed about my savings habits to keep it from happening again.  Within 5 minutes or so she came back with approval for my requested 5,000 limit.

Nice.

I really think persistence, and a personal connection with the rep is what got me ahead there.  If I had just taken no for an answer I would have a Hard Pull and nothing to show for it.  Score one for the regular people! 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Ms-Kato
Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom CLI recon success!

I'll remember this when I get my decision in the next week just in case I get denied.

Message 2 of 5
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Congrats! That is great news.

I had a similar experience with my Barclay's recon. We actually got into a conversation for a few minutes while he was inquiring about my school, major, career path, etc. and I had a really good feeling when he put me on hold. He came back and started lecturing about how the inquiries on my report hurt my score, and that some banks (them included) will deny you for that reason alone...I was starting to get depressed. Then he was like HOWEVER, I went ahead and approved your application. I was like SWEEEEEET! 

This was my second recon, the first one didn't nearly have as personal of a connection. I really think he approved me because of our little chat...he could see I was a good kid with my head on straight, just trying to get my foot in the door (after I explained the reason for the inquiries and everything) and approved me. Always be polite! Smiley Very Happy

Photobucket
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!  You've only had the card for 3 months?  I think I got my Freedom back in July Smiley Happy  Might be time for me to try for a CLI also.

Message 4 of 5
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!  You've only had the card for 3 months?  I think I got my Freedom back in July Smiley Happy  Might be time for me to try for a CLI also.

it worked out great; I had a genuine reason for needing it, decent history, and a personal connection was made.  But it did cost me a hard inquiry...  They asked me a lot of questions like time in career, etc.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.