Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Credit Limit Increase Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Credit Limit Increase Advice

I did this & they still declined me.  Kind of bothered me as I spend a good amount of money with them & I love my Southwest Card for travel.  How long do you need to wait before bugging underwriting again?

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I did this & they still declined me.  Kind of bothered me as I spend a good amount of money with them & I love my Southwest Card for travel.  How long do you need to wait before bugging underwriting again?

Did...what?

Message 12 of 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Chase seems to tough with CLI's. Plus if they do not give you one, it's a HP.

I don't want to derail you from your original plan, but if running up a balance and paying it down multiple times isn't helping you with Chase, you could consider the Discover IT card assuming you don't have it. It is extremely similar. The categories throughout the year are usually the same as Freedom's. The only one I haven't seen Discover do (at least not since I have had it, 2012) is Groceries, but with your BCE it's not a huge big deal.

Discover offers SP CLI's, is good with auto increases and growing with you, and a FICO score. It's just my opinion but I feel like Discover is more committed to growing with someone, whereas Chase seems to leave people stuck where they are with CL and APR for a long, long time if not forever.

Message 13 of 23
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

I have the Chase Amazon card. i got it initially for 4k CL. later 4 months, they increased to 5K. I never asked them. looks like auto CLI. i do have a chase freedom card recently opened it. have to wait for 3-4 months and check if they repeat the same like other chase amazon card.

4/2024 FICO TU-840|EX - 838|EQ -840
Total Credit - $535K+
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 840
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Took me almost 4 years to get an email from Chase for an SP CLI for my Freedom. I got a 2x CLI though. From $200 to $400! 

Message 15 of 23
Crickette

I am in the exact same boat (have both Chase Freedom and Chase Amazon cards) and even though I pay my card balances off each month no credit increases for years.. my credit score is excellent so not sure what is going on.. but it is an insult to me.  I have thought about going w/ another provider but do not want a hard inquiry.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that Hard Inquiries  should  last no longer than a year. It's  not an indicator  if a person will pay on time but a person seeking different credit options is all. I have been with Chase over a year and have  not had any late paymentd with my car loan or Chase Freedom  and still have not gotten an automated CLI.

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I, too, have had my Chase Freedom Card for a little over 7 months. Never have had a CLI, nor anything from Chase. I got a Discover It Card a month after my Chase Freedom and they gave me a requested CLI of $1000 with a SP after 6 months. I just got a raise in income, and asked for another increase due to my raise in pay. I hit the LUV button, and it said "We will review your request and let you know". I sent an internal e-mail explaining why I asked and for what reasons. Guess I'll see tomorrow what happens.

Chase, as has been mentioned here, does a HP if requested at all.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

kudos for thread searching instead of starting one from scratched; took me a sec to see that it was back in march...

you've already hit the love button but I would suggest calling in to see the status, if you don't hear by tmr.

I would start off by calling in the CC#, explain to the rep your situation and than let them transfer you (once they check on the status of your CLI app and see its been declined) or you can call the recon number (they should have it around here somewhere)

OP had the perfect verbage for asking for a CLI when calling in, and also a really good set up.

When you're trying to get a rep to help you, always always start the conversation off light and friendly.  Ask them how their day is going, whether its the start of their shift or end of shift..it takes TWO SECONDS extra to do this, but trust me, much better for you.  They can't perform miracles but they're more likely to try harder when they're faced with friendly folks (who doesn't?).

Than let them know that you really love your freedom card, and would love to use it more...but also in the spirit of keeping your utilization low (so your credit score can climb, b/c you are looking to buy down the line), you aren't able to use freedom as your main card because xyz gives you a higher CL.

Couple that, with your recent increase in income, they should be able to do something for you.

Good luck!

PS, I always prefer to call in because with reps, they seem to have the human factor, not that the emails aren't answered by someone human, its just harder to say no logically to someone when you're on the phone or in person--than it is to answer back in a canned email response, of no, sorry....kwim?

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

i've had a chase CC for 14 years, my initial credit liit was $200, back in 2001. my only credit card for the last 13yrs or so.

never had/received a CLI, didnt bother to ask and didnt know about.

i preferrd to do all my transactions in cash/debit.

i only use the Chase CC for gas in gas stations so they cant steal my debit card.

never planned to buy a house and my car was fully paid, so i diddnt bother with CC.

last december 2014, i was looking for a laptop on amazon and found a nice one with the option to apply for an Amazon Chase CC and i got rewards if i use the CC.

never knew about rewards/miles/points i've been using cash for the last 14 years.

so i applied for the chase amazon cc, was approved for $4k.

the next day i called my chase cc to have a CLI on my 13yr old $200 limit CC, they denied me and they did a hard pull.

i was so mad i applied for captial one and discover thru the internet on the same minute!!!!

i got approved for $10.5k with cap1 and $3200 with discover.

it's almost a year now, december 2014 - december 2015, they changed my slate to freedom, i've had slate for 13years, no rewards, LOL and my credit limit is still $200.

my cap1 is still $10.5k never bothered to apply for a CLI, my discover had gone up to $5.5k, i hit their luv button increase in the website.

dont worry about chase.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.