Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Denial - 2 recon's--no go

tag
Bayoucutie
Established Member

Chase Freedom Denial - 2 recon's--no go

So last night I was approved for the Amex everyday card. I wanted to continue the wave so I tried the Chase freedom. Received the 7-10 day message. Being a lurker on here for years, I immediately called the recon number this morning. I pleaded my case to both CSR's I spoke with. I was told because I have a recent JC Penny Card opened in October and a BK (which is falling off in October) are the reasons they can't approve. Since they pointed out the bad on my reported, I pointed out the good. New mortgage opened in Sept, 3 years with Cap1 (2 different cards), 2 1/2 years with Barclaycard. I haven't been late on a bill since before by BK, no collection accounts.I called the executive office on my lunch break and was told that they will not go against what the credit analysts told me earlier. What gives!!!! I'm desperate guys.I don't want to waste a HP. LOL!!! ---CK Scores EQ--664 TU-667

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Denial - 2 recon's--no go

You could always try calling the EO again and getting another rep. They keep a log of all the times you call but it may be worth it to see if you get a friendlier rep.

Message 2 of 13
ddemari
Super Contributor

If your recon hinted the chance you are desperate for approval, they tend to not look past that. I would say with your TU and a pretty good 2 year track record on your cra reportS, you might have a chance. Maybe fine tune your telephone approach with a google of "how to sucessfuly recon a credit card" tips.
Message 3 of 13
AverageJoe1970
Contributor

applying for credit that quickly just seems like (generally speaking) a bad idea.

Wasn't always this way. Lessons learned.
Scores: Exp838 || Tu840 || Equ839
Credit Card Collection: Chase Sapphire Reserve 48K || Chase United 43K || Barclays Apple 39K || AMEX CASH 37K || BOA CASH 35K || Apple 25K || FNB AMEX 20K || Chase Amazon 15K ||
Utilization: >1%
Message 4 of 13
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Bayoucutie wrote:

So last night I was approved for the Amex everyday card. I wanted to continue the wave so I tried the Chase freedom. Received the 7-10 day message. Being a lurker on here for years, I immediately called the recon number this morning. I pleaded my case to both CSR's I spoke with. I was told because I have a recent JC Penny Card opened in October and a BK (which is falling off in October) are the reasons they can't approve. Since they pointed out the bad on my reported, I pointed out the good. New mortgage opened in Sept, 3 years with Cap1 (2 different cards), 2 1/2 years with Barclaycard. I haven't been late on a bill since before by BK, no collection accounts.I called the executive office on my lunch break and was told that they will not go against what the credit analysts told me earlier. What gives!!!! I'm desperate guys.I don't want to waste a HP. LOL!!! ---CK Scores EQ--664 TU-667

You sound like me...

I was denied in January citing my now 6 year old BK and my new CC accounts.

No derogs other than the public record... no collections, lates... etc.

Chase wouldn't budge... it's all good.  They'll be throwing cards at me in another 6-9 months when my BK13 is off my reports.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 13
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Bayoucutie wrote:

You sound like me...

Chase wouldn't budge... it's all good.  They'll be throwing cards at me in another 6-9 months when my BK13 is off my reports.

Great attitude.  Didn't apply for anything Chase, Amex, nor barclay until clean reports.  And I waited many years with no or just two cards in pocket.  Chase will give you chance trc, you gave it time.

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 13
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Bayoucutie wrote:

That sucks. I think your best bet if you really wanted to get back in with Chase is getting in with them through a cobranded card like Amazon but I don't know if they're any more lenient there at all.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 7 of 13
Bayoucutie
Established Member

Thanks everyone. I'll wait for that BK fall off.
Message 8 of 13
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Bayoucutie wrote:

You sound like me...

Great attitude.  Didn't apply for anything Chase, Amex, nor barclay until clean reports.  And I waited many years with no or just two cards in pocket.  Chase will give you chance trc, you gave it time.

Just as a point of reference, I got a Sallie Mae from Barclays in January (only $1k on recon, but still an approval) with a very unclean report.  Lots of derogs from 2010 when the financial crisis caught up to me, but no late payments since then.  I did not have any negative history with Barclays.  Totally agree that it would be better to wait until everything is clean (that will be early 2017 for me), but I wanted to share that it is possible with Barclays even with significant negative history.

Message 9 of 13
kjel
Established Contributor

I was denied a Freedom last July. I called to recon and the rep said my old checking account with them showed minimum payments only in the past which was true, a lack of new credit which was also true but I have plenty of TLs that are old, and a string of late pays when I was unemployed in 2011 which the analyst accepted. I think my scores were in the 680 range at that time.

Fast forward six months: a tidier credit report thanks to some goodwill adjustments, low util, a three month old NFCU cash rewards with $14K limit, and scores in the 710-720 range. App'd for CSP and instant approval for $5K. Sometimes you just need to wait it out a little.
Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.