Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Denial

tag
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Chase Freedom Denial

I applied for the Chase Freedom and was denied. Called the reconsideration line and they said I was denied because of a past medical collection that belonged to my wife. On the other hand we were approved for a Citi Diamond Preferred.

I guess Chase is pretty picky.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Denial

I would be disputing that collection as not yours.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 22
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

I have, but they say that since we are married all of her old collections are mine too. I ended up getting three small ones of hers last year. She paid them all off in full, but they still added them to mine.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 3 of 22
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

I agreed with LS. Try to dispute it. Also try to recon again and again and one more time... Again
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 4 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Who said that??!?!? That is TOTAL BS!!!!!

Her collections are NOT yours! I had the same issue about 2 years ago. Are these medical bills???

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

re you disputing these with the collection agencies or the bureaus??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 22
madmann26
Valued Contributor

If you were listed as the responsible person on file, then that's why it shows up on your CR.

This happens often if the insurance is under your name.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 7 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

If you did not sign the paperwork for responsible party it is not your debt even if you are the primary on the Insurance.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 22
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

I called Chase recon back and this guy told me that the collections weren't the reason I was denied. He said it was my utilization which is sitting at 42% right now. He said that they require a utilization of under 30% and that if I got mine down then they would probably approve me.

I live in Missouri and from what I have been told you are responsible for your spouses medical bills even if you don't sign anything. I have disputed it with the credit agencies and they verified it. I also called the collection agency, which is owned by the hospital, but work very hard to hide that fact, and they told me that as of our date of marriage all active collections she had became mine. Oddly enough none of them showed up on my credit report though until I went in and paid off one of them for her using my credit card. I live in Missouri by the way. And my wife and I do not have any type of group insurance. We both carry our own individual policies.

I think I was told that the "law of necessities" was the reason.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 9 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I think your being hosed personally. I would contact an attorney and ask about your state's laws.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.