Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Denied Amex Approved

Congrats on your American Express approval

Message 21 of 30
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Mustangfrank wrote:

I opened a Chase checking account in a local Branch and they asked if I would like to open a Freedom Card checking account and I said yes.

The Bank representative filled out the application on his computer and when I got home I checked on the application and it gave the 7-10 day notification.

A few days later I called the Chase Recon Number and the CSR was very nice and told me i was denied for the Freedom Card because I only had 

eight months of credit History.

She took all my information put me on hold and about four minutes later said that Chase could not issue me a Card at this time do to the thin history file.

Amex however just approved me for $10,000 CL for a Costco True Earnings card.

Go figure.

I have a Capital one secured card with $2,000 CL

Amex Costco True Earnings $10,000 CL

I pay my CapitalOne card in full every month and usage is 10%

Fico Scores all over 725

Does your Capital One report as secured?  Or does it report as unsecured?

I'm wondering if maybe that hurts chances somehow...

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 22 of 30
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

Does your Capital One report as secured?  Or does it report as unsecured?

I'm wondering if maybe that hurts chances somehow...

That is a good question.

It was always my understanding that it was reported as unsecured.

After all It was good enough to get  me approval  for three (3) American Express cards.

The only reason I applied for the Freedom card is because I was in the Chase Bank Branch opening a checking account and

the gentleman waiting on me thought I would be approved without a problem. Then I got the dreaded 7 to 10 day message and called the Recon number as was told I was denied for length of History.

This will be my last card.

I just want a Visa incase someone does not take American Express.

I will then close down my CapitalOne and get my $2,000 deposit back and off to the Garden.

Amex Zync NPSL 9/12, Amex CostcoTrue Earnings $10K 9/12
Amex BCE $3K 9/12 (Amex Back Dated to 1983)
Chase Sapphire Preferred $17K 11/12, Chase Freedom $7K 11/12
Discover More $750 11/12
CapitalOne Platinum Secured Card 2K 2/12 (Closed 12/12)
FICO: EQ = 804 EX = 802(Amex) TU = 801(Discover)
Message 23 of 30
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Cap1 reports unsecured. WF reports as secured (those are two I have).

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mustangfrank wrote:

I am wondering if i should call the recon number again (888-245-0625) and see if I get different results.

My denial letter is on its way.

I could wait for it to arrive and then try to plead my case.

Hey there!  I recently was approved for an AMEX revolver account during my app spree.  When I app'd for the Amazon Chase, I was denied.  While on the phone with the rep I stated "Hmm...that's odd, I was just approved for and AMEX" at which time she placed me on hold and then came back asking a slew of questions.  I was approved for my Chase.  Perhaps you can call the recon # and pull my #.  It might just work.  Tell them your new CL too, as it might help.

Message 25 of 30
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

Thanks Snoopy,

I will give it a go.

I actually thought The CSR was going to give it to me right up until she said that

chase could not extend credit to me with a short history at this time.

I will report back.

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 26 of 30
Eschaton
Regular Contributor

That is very, very odd considering how recently we've been seeing people approved for the Freedom with all sorts of scores. Wish you luck on your recon though! Perhaps it's not a bad idea to let the AmEx report and show that 10k credit limit so you can have a higher limit on your Freedom. 

Capital One Journey (12/2010) $750 | Chase Freedom (03/2012) $3500 | American Express Zync (03/2012) NSPL | Amazon Prime (08/2018) $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred (10/2018) $8000 | Bank of America Cash Reward 10/2018 $8000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 06/2019 $2700

Experian score: 793 (9/2018)
Message 27 of 30
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

Thanks,

I think you make a valid point seeing how chase can be conervative with the Credit Limits.

I thought I would just try to make the best of the HP.

I have a total of 5 HP's now in one year.

It is interesting how some people on these boards have 10+  HP's and have no problem getting approvals.

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 28 of 30
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

This is an example of how YMMV (Your mileage may vary) with things that are reported on the boards. Most of us give a snapshot of our credit when reporting approvals, etc. You never really know how someone's credit file will look when they put it through the computer. I am honestly amazed at Chase at times, they seem like they are all over the place.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@emptypockets wrote:

This is an example of how YMMV (Your mileage may vary) with things that are reported on the boards. Most of us give a snapshot of our credit when reporting approvals, etc. You never really know how someone's credit file will look when they put it through the computer. I am honestly amazed at Chase at times, they seem like they are all over the place.

I always wondered what YMMV meant.  Thanks for posting that...never would have guessed.
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.