Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Denied - worth a recon?

tag
kekrre
Contributor

Chase Freedom Denied - worth a recon?

I was recently approved for a CSP at $5k. I imagine I was at the cusp of the automatic approval system due to income ($30k).

I decided that I would try to apply now for a Freedom to maximize my rewards on the two cards and was given a "pending review" message. When I called up the backdoor analyst #, I was told that I don't have sufficient payment history with Chase for them to extend me any more credit.

Is it worth pursuing this? I have 2 revolving accounts ($1700 total) at 5+ years with no missed payments and 1 installment (about 40% on $8500 left) at 3+ years with no missed payments, plus the $5k line Chase just gave me.

Does anyone think I'll get anywhere with them (I just want a $500 CL - I can get a CLI later when I'm making more money). What if I offer to forgo the sign-on bonus?

|||||||
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Denied - worth a recon?

I suggest you wait 6 months and use that CSP heavily and then app for the Freedom.  I got lucky since they gave me 7.5k on my CSP so I was able to move some money over.  Plus I have a Chase auto loan with them.  You could always keep trying.  Explain to them you're trying to move a good chunk of your spending over to Chase. 

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 2 of 6
kekrre
Contributor

Thanks - they said (again) they would move credit over to open if they could, but obviously they can't dip below $5k on the CSP. Suggested (nicely) that I try again in a few months.

The rep I spoke with today also implied that it wasn't good to apply "within that 30 day window" for additional credit. So I guess it's okay if you have limits to shift around, but not if you're asking for a further extension.

Oh well. I have a More now ($1500) to get some 5% back until I reapply in a year or so.

|||||||
Message 3 of 6
YahComb
Established Contributor

a bit unfortunate for you. My income is in the 30s also, but i applied for Freedom and Sapphire same day. At that time i had 6 cards reporting with a combined 8.5Kish limits, i got 3K on the freedom 5K on the sapph. Neither were instant approved because of a fraud alert, but after i called for verification(straight up verification, not a recon where i needed to explain myself) i was approved for both. That has worked for me and many others, app for multiple chase cards on the same day(usually one will need to be reconned though)

IN your case, probably the low limits on other tradelines combined with the current loan makes them a bit worried about giving you any more credit. I should also mention i have a very low "rent/mortgage" for the moment, and a decent amount in savings/checking to somewhat counter my not so great income.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Give it a shot. Call before apping. Sometimes you might be asked to do it again (check your report, whichever you have) if they have pulled a hard pull on the last app. Regardless, app it right away if they tell you so, call back the same number if you see the screen that says approved, know your approval limit (usually 500 after recon). Take it, and go on a garden mode after that. You don't get much for a starter prime card (Visa, MC), take it and if you ever needed more limit, try store cards (not too much of them). They offer better limit there to cover your needs, and maybe some sweet deferred or no interest installments on their accounts if you ever needed one. Don't try Care Credit, they are as tough as another prime card, if not worse.

My question is:

# inq on EXP or EQ?

FICO or FAKO?

Utilization?

Baddies?

Existing/old/active Chase Premier Account? (helps when doing card recon)

Message 5 of 6
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Before you throw in the towel, I think you should read this thread:  Chase Recon

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.