Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Denied

tag
goldengopher1991
Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Denied

@Hcontreras wrote:
I got the Freedom with 7 months of history (2 months after I got the QS)

I guess you got lucky and got a nice credit analyst. Reading back through this entire thread, most people agree that Chase doesnt approve people with thin files. I was told on the recon line to come back when I have 1-2 years of credit history. 

Discover IT - $10,000 | Chase Freedom - $2,200 | United MileagePlus Explorer - $5,000 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select - $4,000
Message 41 of 47
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

I

I successfully got approved for Chase Freedom last year. I started with no credit cards, got a Capital One card with a CL of 400, got a Discover witha CL of 1000 and got a Chase Freedom after I was able toget my score up to around 640. I was initially denied. Then I waited 6 months and tried again. I was armed with a good story for recon.  I had a good story for discover recon as well. It was the truth which was I was rebuilding my credit, I spent hours a week online researching what to do, I planned on paying my bills ontime and raising my score to the high 700s. I told the rep how I was on credit forums online and how I have 2 jobs and was not planning on using my cards to go into debt but rather to raise my scores. You  can see the link in my sig for my story.

I would recommend that you set your sights for a higher cl than 500 dollars. I think it is easier to get initially approved for a higher cl than to start at a really low one and incrementally raise it, especially with Chase. GE is a different story and is an easier company to raise a CL with. Of course your requested CL is probably irrelivant to your acceptance. They will either approve or deny you then give you whatever CL their mathematical formulae spit out for you. Good luck. I think if you just keep trying with them you will be successful. Let them know that you really want their card because they are the most respected bank in the US etc, etc... Good luck.

Message 42 of 47
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

@goldengopher1991 wrote:

@Hcontreras wrote:
I got the Freedom with 7 months of history (2 months after I got the QS)

I guess you got lucky and got a nice credit analyst. Reading back through this entire thread, most people agree that Chase doesnt approve people with thin files. I was told on the recon line to come back when I have 1-2 years of credit history. 

I did it online. It was approved in like 30 seconds (seriously). Here's what I did first: I went to the Chase website and clicked on the "see if you're pre-qualified" link > entered required info (SP), then the Slate and Freedom came up, so I app'd the Freedom.

In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Current FICO Scores: 783 (EX) | 766 (EQ) | 764 (TU)
Message 43 of 47
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

I dont think that Discover is way harder than Chase.  Maybe the Walmart discover is hard but I think the regular one is easier. It really varies according to whe you apply. 

Message 44 of 47
goldengopher1991
Contributor

@dddewdrop wrote:

I dont think that Discover is way harder than Chase.  Maybe the Walmart discover is hard but I think the regular one is easier. It really varies according to whe you apply. 

Thanks for sharing your story! I guess the key for me is time.. too short a credit history right now, so I just need to be patient and let it age. I'll wait another 6 months and maybe skip the Freedom and go straight for the United Mileage Plus or maybe even the Sapphire Preferred (not so sure about this one, heh).

Discover IT - $10,000 | Chase Freedom - $2,200 | United MileagePlus Explorer - $5,000 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select - $4,000
Message 45 of 47
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

The only way for them to see the payment on the credit report would be to pull another report. They won't take your word for it. Even so, six months still isn't that much and not many people get approved by Chase with a short history. There are some who get lucky and get 500 or 1000 with no history, but that isn't normal.

@Chris679 wrote:
You need to be looking at companies that are OK with thin files and that isn't Chase. You already have Discover so Cap One and a local CU are the others I would look at. Having said all that Chase already did the HP so I would hound them as many times as you want you have nothing to lose.

Looking desperate for credit isn't going to make them see you as a good risk.

I don't think anyone equates reconing with being desperate.  There are 100s of stories of people having sucess on recons after many many failed attempts.  Also, who cares?  The HP is in the books already, OP has absolutely nothing to lose by continuing to call them until he gives up or they say yes.  Personally I have only ever had two instances where I could not turn a no into a yes.  Capital One will not remove a single 30 day late (yet) and GE Money would not re-open a Walmart account that closed due to inactivity (I still get the FICO so I just gave up trying).  I call as many times as it takes and explain what I want until I get someone who says yes.  A side benefit of this is that you really develop a level of confidence when talking to these people and you start to realize that you have all the power as the customer and not them.

+1

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 46 of 47
bk510
Valued Contributor

@goldengopher1991 wrote:

I'm pretty new to credit, I only have had a Discover open since October 2013 with a CL of 1250, 5 on time payments is all I have to show. Utilization is always maintained at 2%-5%. Applied for freedom today and just got denied. Called in twice and talked to 2 different people on the recon line, still denied. 

Really just wanted a 500 CL so I could have more accounts and build a history with chase and eventually in a year or so from now qualify for the CSP.. so frustrating. Smiley Sad

Hang in there.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.