Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom--Denied--

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom--Denied--

Hello,

I've been lurking for several months, but this is my first time posting. I just wanted to share an experience I had today while applying for Chase Freedom.

A little about me: My credit profile isn't great, but it has greatly improved in the last year or so. All of my scores are hovering around 652 or so. I've got one unpaid medical collection on 2 of my reports from 2006 that I am fairly sure is an error, and about 4 or 5 charge-offs from 2005/2006 when I lost my job. I also have student loans (in deferment), an auto refinance loan I just openned in May, as well as 2 prior auto loans paid off ( one of them had about 4 30-day lates in 2011). I also have a few rebuilder cards with low limits, a few GEMB cards, and a credit card with my local CU, all of which I've opened in the last 9 months.

So, I got up the nerve to apply for Chase Freedom today, even though I was thinking I would be denied. I got the 7-10 day message. I then called the customer svc number and was told I was denied. I was then transferred to a credit analyst. From the tone of her voice, I knew I was in trouble! However, she gave me a chance to explain my past credit history and pulled a different report from me. We were on the phone for 20 minutes, and even though she was initially taking a hard line about approving me, by the end of the conversation, it sounded as though she really wanted to approve me, but she couldn't because I have opened too many accounts in the last year. She complimented me on being able to rebound in life.

Of course I was really disappointed, but I was also happy that I tried to recon. Without reading this forum, I would never have known about recon and would have been too scared to try it. So I just want to thank all the posters for all of the good info you post here!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom--Denied--

Don't be afraid try again. It was my second recon attempt that resulted in approval.

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the positive feedback. I was so nervous at first, but I think I could probably articulate my thoughts better if I tried again because I was totally unprepared for some of the question she asked.
Message 3 of 6
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Yep. And go with your gut, if the person that answers doesn't give you that warm and fuzzy feeling, hang up and try again. 

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha. Thanks! At least it felt as though the analyst I talked to was warming up to me....I did think about hanging up a few times while was on hold!
Message 5 of 6
Eschaton
Regular Contributor

I would try again also. I applied and got denied, recon and got denied again. 

I tried one more time and then got approved, and from what I remember someone reconn'ed a third time and got approved.

I went out and dug my thread out, I was really encouraged by the community and I hope some of the people who backed me up comes and do the same for you. It really helped my morale when I called the second time around. There's nothing to lose for you, you already took the HP anyways.

Good luck!

Capital One Journey (12/2010) $750 | Chase Freedom (03/2012) $3500 | American Express Zync (03/2012) NSPL | Amazon Prime (08/2018) $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred (10/2018) $8000 | Bank of America Cash Reward 10/2018 $8000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 06/2019 $2700

Experian score: 793 (9/2018)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.