Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom One Day Late! Ugh...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom One Day Late! Ugh...

I've been working so hard on my credit for the past 1 1/2 years. Perfect history on everything. So I've been sick in bed the last week and didnt start feeling better until today. I finally get up and check my email and I have an email saying my Chase Freedom payment was due yesterdaySmiley Sad. I immediately paid it. I called in and without me asking the rep reversed my late fee and told me my APR wont be affected.Ok thats a good thing. I also know that it wont be reported to my credit. Im only concerned that this will stay in their internal system and prevent me from any increases or new cards in the future....Anyone with this same experience? I have also setup up autopay on my cards. I dont care for autopay and I usually PIF but I dont want this to ever happen again. I know this may seem petty to some but im sure to anyone that has came from a similiar credit situation and built there self back up understands how these little things stress you out. Can Chase backdate a late payment to the due date?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom One Day Late! Ugh...

I don't know the answer to your question about how this might effect CLI in the future, but just wanted to comment that this is where a bank like Chase really shines over some of the bottom feeders. Just that they sent you an email on the first day you were past due, instead of just letting it be until you were (potentially) in a lot worse shape. (I realize you would likely have caught it yourself before it got to that point, but some people don't).

Also, I think you did well to set up autopay now. I have it in place as a safety net. Like you, I prefer not to use it, and I always pay in full before the autopay kicks in. But I have it there just in case.

Message 2 of 17
ddemari
Super Contributor

A one-day late payment more than likey is not going to cause any damage to your credit. Chase may charge you a late fee but you might be able to call them up and ask for forgiveness stating how you always pay on time, you were sick and this was a one time thing. 

Message 3 of 17
Involver
Valued Contributor

It may have an effect on your internal score, but one day late won't report to the credit bureaus.  You should also be able to have the late fee rescinded as a "courtesy removal" as others have said.  

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Others have answered about 1 day late not going to credit score. I doubt anyone, but a Chase insider would know if this will affect any future CLI. Even if someone chimes in with anecdotal evidence, it will be based on their profile not yours.

Bravo on setting up autopay. I hate the idea of it too, but I set all mine to pay the minimum just in case an emergency such as yours came up for me. I don't normally keep much money in my checking account, but I keep enough in there to cover all my minimum payments for a few months. I've never had an autopay kick in yet because I always pay 2x times a month. By the time my actual due date comes my amount due is 0. 

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did Chase waive the interest, too? Or just the late fee?

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Chase being one of the "Major" banks, I highly doubt 1 late fee will make a difference with the internals. If for some strange reason it does, I would then ask to speak with a supv.

Message 7 of 17
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

If you PIF no reason not to like auto pay. It's there for a reason, protects you.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those of you using auto pay I always wondered, if you set up auto pay but manually pay yourself ..does the auto pay kick in and pay again making 2X payments by accident. Or does it not auto pay for you if you already made a payment yourself beforehand? I want to enroll to auto pay as back up but was always worried that if I pay myself that the auto pay will do it too causing two payments when I only want to do 1 and use it as a backup if no payment was made yet.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't had to use autopay yet, but Cap1 will make a payment if there is anything due on the due date. That was the popup I got when I did set it up. Not sure if it would be the minimum or the balance if it's under the minimum though
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.