Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Plus to Chase Sapphire Preferred Upgrade

tag
FICOADDICTED
New Contributor

Chase Freedom Plus to Chase Sapphire Preferred Upgrade

Hello All,

I just got a notice today that my Chase Freedom Plus is being upgraded to Chase Sapphire Preferred as the Chase Freedom Plus Rewards will no longer be available; the first year fee is waived....  I'm not sure if this is really an upgrade so who ever have the Chase Sapphire please give me your thoughts on this card.

I appreciate any input....

Have a great weekend everyone!

Amex (3), Chase (2), Cap One(2), USAA (1), NFCU (1), Citi (2) Nordie Store Card, VS, BB Store card and HD store card......
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Plus to Chase Sapphire Preferred Upgrade

I also have the same card. I have not received any notice of a change.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I have chase freedom and have not received any upgrade info. I think saphire has a version with out AF.

Message 3 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

hmm, I have freedom Plus, as of today no notice.  Chase had been talking about adding perks to the Sapphire program to make it better then the Freedom but not sure, have not really researched

Message 4 of 10
FICOADDICTED
New Contributor

I received my Chase Sapphire preferred card today replacing my Chase Freedom Plus and the perks looks good.
Amex (3), Chase (2), Cap One(2), USAA (1), NFCU (1), Citi (2) Nordie Store Card, VS, BB Store card and HD store card......
Message 5 of 10
andre181
Established Contributor

Can anyone explain the difference between Freedom and Freedom Plus?

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 6 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@andre181 wrote:

Can anyone explain the difference between Freedom and Freedom Plus?

Freedom was top 3 categories

Freedom Plus is top 6 categories I think... I have not used the card in so long, I forget!

Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The impression I get is that Freedom Plus is being phased out. It hasn't been available as an initial application in a good long while. I don't know if they kept offering it to customers on an individual basis, though. And now it looks like they're gradually doing away with it entirely. Smiley Sad

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Chase Freedom Plus was annihilated on 30 September 2010.  All those in good standing were sent out "upgrades" to Chase Sapphire Preferred (or the basic no AF Sapphire if that was wanted instead), card limits, APRs, account numbers, and network types and levels all remaining the same.  The 7% annual bonus on Preferred could possibly make it worth the rewards fee change from $30 to $85 (previously $95 in 2009), but I seriously doubt it unless one spends six figures on their Sapphire Preferred card annually.  The Freedom Plus rewards program was arguably the best one on the market if done right (Amex Blue Cash comes close), but the elimination of both the 3% in 6 categories and $250 for $200 and subsequent replacement by a base $1 : 1 point program (Ultimate Rewards) is either due to continued heavy hits from the economy or a determined thrust to shrink the customer base.  Nonetheless, it is what it is, and everyone will have to make their own choice on the matter.

I've been keeping an eye out for the Freedom Plus World Elite MC, but Chase has abolished all WEMCs at this point (or so I'm told).  The Morgan Stanley WEMC is available if you invest with them like Bill Gates, but that's it.  Visa Signature and World MC are their present top.  Kind of ironic considering the cards just kept getting darker blue with every switch (basic Chase Freedom to Freedom Plus to Sapphire Preferred).  How about a nice Obsidian WEMC or Visa Infinite card with a $30 fee to finally secure the concierge?  :-)

Message 9 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Smiley Very Happy

Good summary, thanks!

What's the difference between World Elite MC and plain old World MC?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.