Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Pre-Approval Offer

tag
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Chase Freedom Pre-Approval Offer

Hey FICOites!

I have gotten these pre-approval offers from Chase for the Freedom card.  It's the $300 cash back offer for first purchase with 12.99% apr after 12 months of 0% APR for BT and purchases.

I can't decide if I should app for the card because I already have the Amex BCP with rewards.  What's driving me to app is the instant $300 cash back.  I really don't need the card but $300 is $300.  What do you think?  Would you app for the card?  Not worried about AAoA but not particuarly excited about another HP on EQ.  I'm apping for a mortgage in Jan-Feb of 13. 

Kind of a silly post but I really am going from one side to the next with regards to apping and I'd like some help with my mental debate.  Smiley Happy  I think I will just go with most responses from this thread with the yes or no votes.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
spengbab
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Pre-Approval Offer

The only disadvantage the chase freedom will have against the BCP is that the rewards category changes quarterly. Honestly I would stick to the BCP but if you're feeling the urge to get another card... Smiley Happy

Barclaycard Apple Financing (2100), Discover More (2500), US Bank Visa Platinum (2000), CFNA (2200), Chase Freedom (500), Capital One (1500), HSBC Platinum Master Card (750), Nebraska Furniture Mart (1000)
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your scores are good enough that an INQ isn't going to keep you from getting the best rates on a mortgage, and if you're that hard up for $300 maybe you should spend a bit more saving for a downpayment before you apply for a loan.  I vote yes.

Message 3 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your scores are good enough that an INQ isn't going to keep you from getting the best rates on a mortgage, and if you're that hard up for $300 maybe you should spend a bit more saving for a downpayment before you apply for a loan.  I vote yes.

Ha-Ha, not hard up for $300.  Just for some reason have this itchy finger for the card and $300 sounds like a good reason though I know that I should just stick with what I got.  Thanks though. 

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Hey FICOites!

I have gotten these pre-approval offers from Chase for the Freedom card.  It's the $300 cash back offer for first purchase with 12.99% apr after 12 months of 0% APR for BT and purchases.

I can't decide if I should app for the card because I already have the Amex BCP with rewards.  What's driving me to app is the instant $300 cash back.  I really don't need the card but $300 is $300.  What do you think?  Would you app for the card?  Not worried about AAoA but not particuarly excited about another HP on EQ.  I'm apping for a mortgage in Jan-Feb of 13. 

Kind of a silly post but I really am going from one side to the next with regards to apping and I'd like some help with my mental debate.  Smiley Happy  I think I will just go with most responses from this thread with the yes or no votes.

If you app for it now the INQ will be a year old and more than likely not hurting you on a mortgage. It's pretty much Are you willing to live with the INQ for 2 years.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 10
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I would do it--in fact, I did do it for the $300. Free money is a motivator especially when you don't have to meet spend requirements. Sure, you may have the BCP, but not everywhere takes AMEX so a backup is always recommended. The score hit won't matter much either and applying for a mortgage, it shouldn't matter. If you decide to take the offer, this should probably be your last until you close.

Message 6 of 10
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I have the BCP and Chase Freedom.  I use my Freedom whenever Amex is not accepted.  I also use my Freedom when the 5% off gas is going on (this year Jan-March and July-Sept.) or another category that beats out the Amex.  I received the "free" cash and keep on racking up more with the categories.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Does the Freedom VISA sig report the credit limit? Thanks for the input everyone. Every time, before I app for a card- I really fight with myself about "need" over "want". Because of this- I've been able to really watch my FICO score grow. I think I might pass on this one though. I don't have a VISA sig and was just wondering about how Chase reports this.

Message 8 of 10
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

I had been debating with myself over a pair of speakers i wanted. The free 300 made up my mind for me.

I vote yeah, why the heck not. They are quick with the money too, i recall wass only 1500 or something like that in the first three months that you had to spend.
Message 9 of 10
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:
Does the Freedom VISA sig report the credit limit? Thanks for the input everyone. Every time, before I app for a card- I really fight with myself about "need" over "want". Because of this- I've been able to really watch my FICO score grow. I think I might pass on this one though. I don't have a VISA sig and was just wondering about how Chase reports this.

I have the Signature and I can confirm the limit does report. You don't need a new card per se, but you DO want $300!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.