Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Pre-Qual. Mailers...

tag
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Chase Freedom Pre-Qual. Mailers...

So in the past 2 weeks I've been approved for 3 cards- 1 Visa, 1 AMEX (co-branded) and 1 Mastercard for a total of $15K in new credit. Before that the last approval i had was for WF at the very beginning of the year.  Now there's the business of the 3 Chase Freedom and 2 Chase Slate mailers I've received in the last couple of months. I don't really need the Slate b/c my balances on my other cards aren't high enough to do a transfer, but I am leaning toward accepting the Freedom b/c aside from my BP card, it would be good to have a REAL Chase CC and it might be a tip-in if I decided to apply for a CSP next year. I think I have enough credit as-is for the time being, but also feel I shouldn't pass this offer (Freedom) up. Thoughts?

Discover It-$6K ll Wells Fargo Visa-$6K ll USAA Cash Rew. Visa-$11K ll OCCU Beaver Visa-$1.5K ll AMEX Green-NPSL ll Macy's-
$2.5K ll Wal Mart/GECRB-$900 ll Chase/BP Gas-$500 ll Sears/Citi-$2k ll Pay-Pal Smart Connect/GECRB-$2K ll Best Buy/Citi-$4K ll
Sportsman's Guide Visa-$7K ll Coldwater Creek M/C-$4.5K ll Credit Union Visa-$1K ll FNBO AMEX-$3.5K  Last checked scores from all 3 bureaus hovering around 700-give or take.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Pre-Qual. Mailers...

Your choice but if your on their radar the offers will only get better 

And something else you should be aware of when they make those offers and if it's not just mass marketing if your profile changes as in new HP/TL's can also lead to denial...

Just an FYI tho

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 12
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

If you dont need it yet, don't take it.  There will be more offers or better offers, at some point.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 12
Shock
Established Contributor

Apparently I'm not on their radar, even though I have 2 cards with them. Discover has been mailing me like crazy though. Does it mean youre practically a shoe in if they keep sending you nonstop mailers?  (Obviously not but a very good chance I presume)

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 4 of 12
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Shock: I would think the only other card they might offer you would be CSP-or possibly Slate. I'd say a pre-qual mailer represents a good chance-IMO. Of the ones I've accepted, I haven't received a denial...yet.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 5 of 12
Shock
Established Contributor

Yep same here. I want the CSP for the sign up bonus, and then transferring the line over to my other 2 cards. But I'm milking the 5% back on restaurats this quarter first. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
Shock
Established Contributor

And FWIW the prequalifier sites arent always right. I did it with BOA and they said no, but in branch they said I am. Then again, they could have lied to try to get me to open it

Message 7 of 12
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

Question on Pre-Qual Mailers.

I know just like prequal/aprovals online that its not guaranteed, but with these mailers I got a APR offer that wasn't the lowest base one. So I assume they already did some internal calculations for me and I assume this is what I would get either way if I was approved via an online app?

I've already been declined once back in October for Freedom(DTI too high was reason, won't be issue this time around). Just wondering if I should use the mailer offer to just try and get stuck with the 18.99 APR% if approved. I don't plan on carrying a balance, but always prefer lower APR for future sake after intro apr. Anyone have any experience with using mailer invite codes and getting approved for lower APR then orginally offered? 

Almost for sure going to use mailer invite to get $200 bonus. Just had a few questions out of curiousity.

Message 8 of 12
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@VirusCredit13 wrote:

Question on Pre-Qual Mailers.

I know just like prequal/aprovals online that its not guaranteed, but with these mailers I got a APR offer that wasn't the lowest base one. So I assume they already did some internal calculations for me and I assume this is what I would get either way if I was approved via an online app?

I've already been declined once back in October for Freedom(DTI too high was reason, won't be issue this time around). Just wondering if I should use the mailer offer to just try and get stuck with the 18.99 APR% if approved. I don't plan on carrying a balance, but always prefer lower APR for future sake after intro apr. Anyone have any experience with using mailer invite codes and getting approved for lower APR then orginally offered? 

Almost for sure going to use mailer invite to get $200 bonus. Just had a few questions out of curiousity.

I've actually seen Chase adjust my APR _downwards_ after I've had the card.

It was nice to see that when it happened!   I usually PIF my Chase cards, so seeing the rate drop was no big deal for me.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 9 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

I don't really need the Slate b/c my balances on my other cards aren't high enough to do a transfer, but I am leaning toward accepting the Freedom b/c aside from my BP card, it would be good to have a REAL Chase CC and it might be a tip-in if I decided to apply for a CSP next year. I think I have enough credit as-is for the time being, but also feel I shouldn't pass this offer (Freedom) up. Thoughts?

Why do you think you shouldn't pass it up?  Because you received an offer?  Or you need the card?  If it's the former that's generally not a good reason.  Don't just respond to marketing.  The Freedom isn't going to disappear and you can apply for it later if/when you think it will be of use to you.  Apply for cards that will specfiically benefit you.

@Shock wrote:

Does it mean youre practically a shoe in if they keep sending you nonstop mailers?

Not necessarily.  Again, it's just marketing.  Approvals are an entirely different matter.

@VirusCredit13 wrote:

No telling.  It all depends on your credit at time of approval.  You could end up with a better or worse APR.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.