Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Pros/Cons..Opinion on rewards

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Pros/Cons..Opinion on rewards

I like my Freedom. but I also have a Discover More which is similar (5% rotation). Its a great card to start with then depending on your usage, you can graduate to the Sapphire or others.

They dont always give good initial CL but they grow with you. I recently took a HP to get a CLI.

Message 11 of 17
bribro
Valued Contributor

@bamagirl1 wrote:

Another question..On average what has been the starting CL's.I know everyone will vary due to a myriad of circumstances but just wanted an idea..and what about APR's??

thanks again!!

They are pretty good about matching your highest CL.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bamagirl1 wrote:

I said I'd never get a Chase card just because when I applied many moons ago they were not helpful at least with the reps  I spoke to.

I always said I couldn't wait to get a Chase card (because their credit products are WONDERFUL) but, I hoped I never had to deal with their reps because they were so nasty-spirited.  Turns out, ever since they got caught in that big investment scandal, seems like EVERYONE at Chase has been sweet as pie.  We've had our main checking with them for many years and over that time we've threatened to move to other banks but, with their turn around in attitude here lately, we'll stay on and enjoy the benefits!  

Message 13 of 17
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

I love my Freedom card! I agree with other comments to wait for a better offer. When I applied I got the $300 bonus, so just see if they offer it again. 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 14 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

The freedom is one of the better rewards cards with no annual fee. Where it really shines though is when you combine it with an ultimate rewards card (Sapphire Preferred, JP Morgan Select/Palladium or Ink Bold). Once you have both, this is when you start to get a lot of value out of the points you earn. Until then each point is worth 1 cent, which is very mediocre.

It also depends on how much you spend as well. If you're a high spender, you may want to look into something else because it's very easy to max out the rewards in a given quarter. Then after $1500 you're stuck with the base-level 1% rewards.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 17
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

Thank you all again..good info credit scholar..

I try to use my credit cards like debit cards for the points etc and pay off each month..This way I'm earning on stuff I would already buy etc..

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 16 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@bamagirl1 wrote:

Thank you all again..good info credit scholar..

I try to use my credit cards like debit cards for the points etc and pay off each month..This way I'm earning on stuff I would already buy etc..

Using your card like a debit or charge card and paying in full is the best way to go. How much do you normally spend in a year? It might give us a better idea as to how well the freedom suits your needs.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.