Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Q2 Bonus Transaction Results

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Q2 Bonus Transaction Results

Just a few results from the first week of Q2 on the Chase Freedom 5% on Groceries/Warehouse Clubs.

1. Yes, you can buy Costco Cash Cards at costco.com and get 5% cashback, so effectively you can take advantage of Freedom's 5% at Costco stores even though they don't take Visa yet.

2. No, you do not get 5% at WalMart, even Super Walmart. Despite some speculation I heard that Super-WalMarts would qualify for the 5% on groceries, you do *not* get 5% at WalMart, even those which code as grocery for other cards (e.g. SallieMae, USBank Travel, CCU Visa). This shouldn't be a surprise, since WalMart and Target are specifically called out as not qualifying in Chase's bonus calendar, but I thought it worth noting.

3. Aldi qualifies as grocery for 5%. Again, not a big surprise, but as Aldi only recently started accepting credit cards, I thought it was relevant information.

freedomtrans.jpg

Chris.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Q2 Bonus Transaction Results

They specifically excluded Walmart. It coded as groceries on my arrival. Two cards went into shut off mode when used at Walmart (first time use). Arrival and discover. Called arrival it worked. Discover did not work until called. Barclays seems to like Walmart for groceries, but they also count amazon fresh as groceries. YMMV.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 7
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

I learned this week that if you are planning to go to Disney world Sams Club sells $150.00 Disney GCs for $142.00. I went through ebates for the cash back and used my Chase Freedom card at Sams Club online. I got the 5% bonus plus saved 8 dollars on 150 and got 2.5% back from ebates. We have a trip to Disney in 2 weeks and this worked out perfect.

Message 3 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Walmart may code as groceries on a different card (for some locations) but since Chase specifically excludes it on the list, my guess is they are making sure they don't give people the points, regardless of the usual coding.

Message 4 of 7
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

Awesome! Thanks for confirming Costco gift cards for us!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a few results from the first week of Q2 on the Chase Freedom 5% on Groceries/Warehouse Clubs.

1. Yes, you can buy Costco Cash Cards at costco.com and get 5% cashback, so effectively you can take advantage of Freedom's 5% at Costco stores even though they don't take Visa yet.

2. No, you do not get 5% at WalMart, even Super Walmart. Despite some speculation I heard that Super-WalMarts would qualify for the 5% on groceries, you do *not* get 5% at WalMart, even those which code as grocery for other cards (e.g. SallieMae, USBank Travel, CCU Visa). This shouldn't be a surprise, since WalMart and Target are specifically called out as not qualifying in Chase's bonus calendar, but I thought it worth noting.

3. Aldi qualifies as grocery for 5%. Again, not a big surprise, but as Aldi only recently started accepting credit cards, I thought it was relevant information.

Chris.

Costco doesn't take Visa? But we also used to pay with a visa card

Message 6 of 7
delaney1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

Costco doesn't take Visa? But we also used to pay with a visa card

Only Visa debit cards in store, at least, until June when Visa credit cards will be accepted

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.