Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Rant

tag
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Rant

There are no bonus points for "flair" in the credit card game.

Yes, $500 CL is ridiculously low and it's fine if you feel insulted, I know I would. But the rational response is to call them and open the account.

It will get your foot in the door with Chase and you can use the 5% categories.

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 11 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

Yes, $500 CL is ridiculously low and it's fine if you feel insulted, I know I would. But the rational response is to call them and open the account.

Yes and no.   If OP waits until scores improve (or loan balance reduces) they could get a much better CL on the Freedom.  And as discussed in other threads, it's often hard to get CLs from Chase on a particular card.   So don't think foot in the door matters, but I agree that OP would be able to use the 5% categories (up to $500!)

Message 12 of 16
dubcee33
Established Member

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm just a spoiled by my credit union.(Navy Fed) My car loan is also through Chase. I guess I'll refi that to Navy Fed too once my mortage is done. 

And yes I should have applied for the Slate anyway since that's the true balance transfer card. I already get 1% rewards on my Navy Fed card, up to 12% depending on what store I shop at online. So I started using that card  to pay for everything and then Pay in Full before the statement closes.

Thanks again!

Message 13 of 16
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

Yes and no.   If OP waits until scores improve (or loan balance reduces) they could get a much better CL on the Freedom.  And as discussed in other threads, it's often hard to get CLs from Chase on a particular card.   So don't think foot in the door matters, but I agree that OP would be able to use the 5% categories (up to $500!)

Good point. Yes, Chase is quite stingy. It might be easier to get a 2nd Chase card a year down the line and transfer CL to Freedom versus asking for a CLI!

The $500 CL isn't a problem because they could pay it off midcycle.

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 14 of 16
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

And be careful about using NFCU as a baseline for other banks, it's well known NFCU is insanely generous and if you expect the same from other banks you'll be disappointed more often than not.
Message 15 of 16
navyox
Regular Contributor

In my experience Chase needs to get to know you a little.    I got Freedom last summer with 2.5k, United MileagePlus in October with 5k, and Sapphire Preferred last week with 11.5k starting.   My income didn't change in that time period, but I did lower my utilization quite a bit.    I paid the UMPE in full every statement carried a small balance on the Freedom a few times.   So it seems that as I used what they gave me responsibly, they got more generous.   YMMV, of course.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.