Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom - Reconsideration Success

tag
JGWantsAHouse
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom - Reconsideration Success

Ok so I applied for the Chase Freedom on 3/19/12 and got the dreaded 7 - 10 day message.  I called the 888-270-2127 and the analyst advised that I was declined for:

Your credit report reflects judgements or delinquent accounts

Number of accounts with delinquency

Time since delinquency is too recent or unknown

Delinquency reported on accounts

I was not prepared for that answer. I haven't made a late payment in over 3 years, I have no collections and my Equifax score was 670 at the time (taken from the credit score disclosure they provided). So I just said ok and hung up.  

I called back the next day, spoke with a very nice young lady and she confronted me with every late that I had on my report ( in the most kind way).  Again I was not prepared with a rebuttal or explaination for those lates. Sounded like she was reaching for a good reason to approve me but I was ashamed and again said ok and hung up.

Tonight I decided I'd give it one last try since I received the declination letter in the mail this weekend.  I called and said " I received your letter in the mail and I'd like to be reconsidered because I've not paid anything late in over 3 years"  She asked do I have an explaination and I explained that I lost my job in 2005 and did everything I could to keep my car and successfully came up with the payments during that time although a little late.  It was also the reason my student loans were late.

She put me on hold for a couple of minutes and approved me for $600. Great! Not a great credit line but its a start and at least I didn't have to burn a HP.

Just wanted to give a little hope to someone else out there.

Closed on my first home April 2012

Starting Score: 559 11/2010
Current Score: 600 Equifax, 681 Transunion, 663 Experian(Lender)
Goal Score: 660+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom - Reconsideration Success

@JGWantsAHouse wrote:

Ok so I applied for the Chase Freedom on 3/19/12 and got the dreaded 7 - 10 day message.  I called the 888-270-2127 and the analyst advised that I was declined for:

Your credit report reflects judgements or delinquent accounts

Number of accounts with delinquency

Time since delinquency is too recent or unknown

Delinquency reported on accounts

I was not prepared for that answer. I haven't made a late payment in over 3 years, I have no collections and my Equifax score was 670 at the time (taken from the credit score disclosure they provided). So I just said ok and hung up.  

I called back the next day, spoke with a very nice young lady and she confronted me with every late that I had on my report ( in the most kind way).  Again I was not prepared with a rebuttal or explaination for those lates. Sounded like she was reaching for a good reason to approve me but I was ashamed and again said ok and hung up.

Tonight I decided I'd give it one last try since I received the declination letter in the mail this weekend.  I called and said " I received your letter in the mail and I'd like to be reconsidered because I've not paid anything late in over 3 years"  She asked do I have an explaination and I explained that I lost my job in 2005 and did everything I could to keep my car and successfully came up with the payments during that time although a little late.  It was also the reason my student loans were late.

She put me on hold for a couple of minutes and approved me for $600. Great! Not a great credit line but its a start and at least I didn't have to burn a HP.

Just wanted to give a little hope to someone else out there.

Congrats!  Is this your first prime card?

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 2 of 6
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I'm wondering if I should do this with citi?

Will I get a US call center if I call during the day or are all calls routed to an over-seas CC?

When I called to recon the fist (only) time, the guy just said to look at the email (decline notice) and re-sub mit the reports once everything was cleared up...They way I read recons on here, there's no way things are cleared up in 24 or less hours.  People have to be doing what you are doing and that is simply speaking to a reasonable person that can look at your report and give a final decision.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 6
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

Chase, has been really good to me with cli. Treat them right and you'll be rewarded.Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
JGWantsAHouse
Regular Contributor

Yes TNTransplant its my first prime card.  I have Credit One now with a $650 credit line. I hope Chase gives me some increases in the near future. I'm moving  into a new house and I really want a nice sized credit limit.

Repo-ed when I was doing my research I found that Citi was not as forgiving as Chase when it comes to recons.  It never hurts to try if you’ve already have a HP.  Good luck!!

Closed on my first home April 2012

Starting Score: 559 11/2010
Current Score: 600 Equifax, 681 Transunion, 663 Experian(Lender)
Goal Score: 660+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@JGWantsAHouse wrote:

Yes TNTransplant its my first prime card.  I have Credit One now with a $650 credit line. I hope Chase gives me some increases in the near future. I'm moving  into a new house and I really want a nice sized credit limit.

Repo-ed when I was doing my research I found that Citi was not as forgiving as Chase when it comes to recons.  It never hurts to try if you’ve already have a HP.  Good luck!!

Congrats again!  Good for you... Smiley Happy

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.