Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Reconsideration

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Reconsideration

Hey all! My first post here Smiley Happy

Ok, my question - any tips for a Chase Freedom reconsideration? What do they like to hear?

My stats: 27-yr old male, in grad school in Chicago, IL, originally from South FL. During my undergrad I applied for several cards for free T-shirts or free pizza or whatever, the way they used to bombard clueless students. Most of these cards I never used and were eventually closed due to inactivity. In 2005, still in school, I wasn't very responsible with a Citi card. $1,000 limit and went up to $1,400. Had it closed by them, paid it off. Will fall off credit history soon. Despite this, in 2008/2009 I was approved for a Bankofamerica card at $1,600, a Discover at $3,500, and Chase Amazon card at $1,500. They were generous with students a few years ago, eh? Anyway I paid them on time, but my balances were high so I entered an interest-lowering credit counseling program near the end of 2010. Unfortunately, either by incompetence or trickery, they DID NOT tell me that the process would CLOSE my cards, so all I was left with was a JCPenney card. No "major" cards left.

Fast forward to now: Been researching into credit, now far more knowledgeable then a few years ago and decided I should expand. I've made NO inquiries in the last 2 years, so I'm spotless in that regard. I've taken alot into consideration, even the neighborhood where I apply, due to the unfortunate history or redlining. It may not make a difference due to my address, but just in case, I applied in person in rich, white neighborhoods. I don't have any bank accounts with Chase right now.

According to Transunion, it's 762, though it was only rated "C" so it may not be not the "real" one, just the one they give consumers.

Myfico.com said my Equifax score was 686.

Experian said my score was 654 or "Fair." They also said my credit history is 9 years old.

My JCPenney card is 4 years old, originally $800 limit but I asked for a CL increase in 2010 and they gave me $1,800. Excellent payment history with it, rarely use it anyway. I was late on my school loan in summer 2010, but it's okay now. And there is a collection in June last year of about $200, from T-mobile due to a cellphone account I made for my younger brother a few years back, which he thinks he paid, but suddenly showed up, so we're investigating and seeing if it can be removed or not, make sure he mafe that payment or not, etc.

Saturday March 24th I applied for Chase Freedom. Was told it was weekend so on Monday they'd look and let me know in 7-10 days. On that Monday I applied for 3 more cards.

- Bank of America, approved with $1,000 limit after discussion over the phone. I've had bank account with them for 10 years so that helped, and I described why my previous card had been closed, and pointed out that I was never late with it.

- I applied for Walmart and got the store card, not the Discover as I'd hoped, but approved nonetheless for $800.

- Applied for Carecredit over the phone, asked for $800 and was approved for a shocking $2,000! Perhaps my JCPenney card, also under GE, helped?

I applied for these all near the same time in case it would help by inquiries not showing up on my report yet. I'm working, with occasional help from parents so I told  them all ~$26K yearly salary, but that's a bit of an overestimation cause it's sales and hours vary. I've been working there for 3 months. My school loans, in deferment since I'm in class, are now at  ~$19K. Some say they don't affect you in their in deferment - but Bankofamerica did ask about them - but on the other hand, Experian didn't show them as factoring into my "mix" of credit either, so I guess it depends on the creditor.

Received denial letter from Chase last Friday the 30th, said I'd had negative account with them, though that's not true. My precious card was closed, yes, but I was never late on it. According to Chase's application process, my Transunion is 649. I called the reconsideration line and the lady didn't approve it. Funny enough, she wanted to see signs that I was re-establishing my credit, but DUH, I was AVOIDING inquiries, to seem responsible, and now I'm applying to YOU to re-establish. No budge. Argh. I want to call again so I'm wondering, any tips, things I should mention?

This was already more success than I anticipated, so I can be happy with what I've got now, but I'm stubborn so if I CAN still make the Chase inquiry worthwhile, I will call and call again, hehe. I don't mind if it's a low limit; my expenses aren't crazy.

Sorry so long, but thanks for taking the time to help; I appreciate it!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Chase Freedom Reconsideration

It doesn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't expect anything different to happen.

You did get other cards, so you basically are fulfilling what they wanted to see. If they say NO again, just wait 6 months or so and try again.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 11
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Am I correct at understanding that your previous chase card was closed as part of a credit counseling plan? If yes, that's the negative account history. Most lenders consider counseling and any type of hardship plan as negative account history since you weren't paying the amount originally agreed.
Message 3 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Boston +1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you're correct, a credit counseling plan. I did pay my entire balance, just at a very reduced interest rate. Unfortunately, I knew very little about credit at the time, and they didn't explain either that it could look bad to later creditors. I thought it was just a lucky break to help pay down balances more quickly, but too good to be true in the end, I suppose.

Message 5 of 11
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

More good credit reporting from your new accounts, and more time. Eventually both should be enough to counter the credit counseling history. With a recon, maybe even now... If not not, garden for 6-8 months and try again.
Message 6 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@bostonte wrote:
More good credit reporting from your new accounts, and more time. Eventually both should be enough to counter the credit counseling history. With a recon, maybe even now... If not not, garden for 6-8 months and try again.

I would even say a full year of gardening will do you better.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 11
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Call fo a CLI on JC Penney. Use the automated system phone number. Ask for a big increase, double your limit now, and take it, or the counter-offer. It will be a SP, and will help your numbers. You can call GE every 4 months and get that CLI up higher. It will help you when you want the other cards to increase your CL. No one wants to be your highest line, and they want to see other lines in the amount you are looking to get.

Be patient with Chase.  Go open a Chase checking account. They seem  more comfortable opening CC accounts when there is an existing financial relationship that is positive with them. The other posters are correct that they are not happy with the debt program you were in. Longer history with the new cards you have, and getting an account with them will heal this somewhat. Chase is not very forgiving.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 8 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

Call fo a CLI on JC Penney. Use the automated system phone number. Ask for a big increase, double your limit now, and take it, or the counter-offer. It will be a SP, and will help your numbers. You can call GE every 4 months and get that CLI up higher. It will help you when you want the other cards to increase your CL. No one wants to be your highest line, and they want to see other lines in the amount you are looking to get.

Be patient with Chase.  Go open a Chase checking account. They seem  more comfortable opening CC accounts when there is an existing financial relationship that is positive with them. The other posters are correct that they are not happy with the debt program you were in. Longer history with the new cards you have, and getting an account with them will heal this somewhat. Chase is not very forgiving.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The banker suggested getting an account, but my job doesn't do direct deposit and I'm too old for Chase's student account, so that won't work. I'll do another CL increase for JCPenney soon, but I haven't used it in a few months so I'll wait a month or two, cause the first time I was turned down simply because of inactivity. Once I was active a few months then they approved it. Thankfully, it's not a hard pull. When it comes to increasing my CL on the Walmart store card in the future, do you know if that'll require a hard inquiry?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.