Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom, Should I Apply?

tag
SALEEN961
Valued Member

Chase Freedom, Should I Apply?

Lately I keep finding myself eying Chase's Freedom card because the 5% categories for 2013 fit my spending habits perfectly and while that's no guarantee of what I can expect come 2014 I could still enjoy the next 6 months even if the new categories don't work for me. I'm not sure if I should apply though because I already have a few new tradelines one of which is from Chase and I've heard that Chase is very hesitant about approving people with recent credit seeking habits, so I'm looking to see what you guys think.

The last time Chase pulled my CR they pulled EX and my EX score from an AMEX pull earlier this month was 754. Here's what Chase will see if they pull my current account info with them and credit report before the next statements cut:

Income: 51K

Inquiries: Less then 3 at each CRA

AAoA: 1yr8mo

Util: 16%

PayPal Extras MC:  (500/7500) 2yr8mo

Discover More:        (400/3000) 0yr5mo

Chase Amazon:    (1100/2000) 0yr2mo

AMEX BCE: Not Reporting Yet, Opened This Month

2 Student Loans: (5300)

I have no dergos and have a history of paying in full, as agreed on all accounts. I also have 5 student loan accounts reporting as closed, paid, never late that will report until 2022 when the loans were originally scheduled to be repaid.

Discover IT 38.5K | AMEX BCE 20K | AMEX BCE Preffered 25K | PayPal Extras MC 10K
Chase Freedom Visa Signature 25K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 24.1K | Chase Amazon 13.5K

EX FICO: 788 Amex
EQ FICO: 796 DCU
TU FICO: 817 Chase
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom, Should I Apply?

@SALEEN961 wrote:

Lately I keep finding myself eying Chase's Freedom card because the 5% categories for 2013 fit my spending habits perfectly and while that's no guarantee of what I can expect come 2014 I could still enjoy the next 6 months even if the new categories don't work for me. I'm not sure if I should apply though because I already have a few new tradelines one of which is from Chase and I've heard that Chase is very hesitant about approving people with recent credit seeking habits, so I'm looking to see what you guys think.

The last time Chase pulled my CR they pulled EX and my EX score from an AMEX pull earlier this month was 754. Here's what Chase will see if they pull my current account info with them and credit report before the next statements cut:

I have no dergos and have a history of paying in full, as agreed on all accounts. I also have 5 student loan accounts reporting as closed, paid, never late that will report until 2022 when the loans were originally scheduled to be repaid.

Looks good but I do have a question how many total INQ's in the last 6 months? Chase likes to see 1 year of CC history which you have but they can be INQ sensitive as wellSmiley Sad

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 31
myjourney
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@SALEEN961 wrote:

Looks good but I do have a question how many total INQ's in the last 6 months? Chase likes to see 1 year of CC history which you have but they can be INQ sensitive as wellSmiley Sad

Edit never mind INQ I see it... You look good IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 31
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@SALEEN961 wrote:

IMO I woul get the util. down to 10% overall and PIF the Chase account before you apply. Good luck!!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 31
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think your profile will be fine for Freedom.  You can always do a recon when you app if originally declined.  For best chances, pay down the Amazon card before the next statement cuts.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 31
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Credit looks good, the new accts are ok too in your case but that util on Amazon is too high.
Message 6 of 31
parakleet
Valued Contributor

I agree with @myjourney. I don't see why you wouldn't be approved. My DH was approved for the freedom this weekend - with a recon, mind you - but he also had high util and one baddie that he had to explain to the analyst. I think the freedom would be an excellent addition to your collection. I have 4 cards with chase so I wouldn't worry. Good luck!

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 7 of 31
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Credit looks good, the new accts are ok too in your case but that util on Amazon is too high.

+1

Message 8 of 31
SALEEN961
Valued Member

If you all think the util on my amazon card is that only thing they'd be concerned with then I think what I'll do is apply with the high balance (all from this month, nothing rolled over) and if I get denied I'll pay if off and call in for a recon, but if I get approved with the high balance I'll pay it off after I'm approved and call in for a recon on my credit limit citing that after applying I realized that the high balance on my Amazon card may have influenced where they set my new limit. I think I might be able to get a higher initial CL this way.

Sound like a good plan?

Discover IT 38.5K | AMEX BCE 20K | AMEX BCE Preffered 25K | PayPal Extras MC 10K
Chase Freedom Visa Signature 25K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 24.1K | Chase Amazon 13.5K

EX FICO: 788 Amex
EQ FICO: 796 DCU
TU FICO: 817 Chase
Message 9 of 31
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Keep in mind, they will pull another cr ( HP) if you have to recon
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.