Chase Freedom, Should I Apply?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom, Should I Apply?

@enharu wrote:

@SALEEN961 wrote:

"We'll let you know of our decision through U.S. mail within the next 30 days."

I guess I'll have to call in to find out what the hang up is. I submitted the app right after my payment was reflected in my available credit (a few hours after my payment initially posted).

What they meant was to pay it down, WAIT for statement to report the balance to CRAs, have the CRAs update, THEN apply.

Anyways what's done is done.

Best of luck!

+1

Your report still shows the high util. So you might want to call in and if this is what is holding you back explain that you paid down and let them check the balance manually. 

Good luck !

Message 21 of 31
SALEEN961
Valued Member

Well that's the thing, this high balance was all from the last 10 days and hasn't been reported yet, the statement actually won't cut for another 2 weeks. My last reported balances were low (10% util across all tradelines), but since this card is with Chase and I'm applying with Chase I'd think they'd be looking at my current standing with them and not that last thing they reported to a CRA.

Discover IT 38.5K | AMEX BCE 20K | AMEX BCE Preffered 25K | PayPal Extras MC 10K
Chase Freedom Visa Signature 25K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 24.1K | Chase Amazon 13.5K

EX FICO: 788 Amex
EQ FICO: 796 DCU
TU FICO: 817 Chase
Message 22 of 31
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

So util on the Amazon card should not be the issue. Not reported and paid down already..Smiley Happy

For me it was the new account #4 in February and I got the Freedom through recon only because of the too many new accounts. Went from 2 cards (December) to 6 cards in February and Chase did not like that but finally approved me but the application score was very low. Fico EQ 793 and Chase app score only 691 with the info too many new accounts compared to the number of accounts. Manual review could also be due to the new accounts maybe.

If you are patient enough you can wait a few days and check the app status or call back door and get the results faster.

Message 23 of 31
enharu
Super Contributor

@SALEEN961 wrote:

Well that's the thing, this high balance was all from the last 10 days and hasn't been reported yet, the statement actually won't cut for another 2 weeks. My last reported balances were low (10% util across all tradelines), but since this card is with Chase and I'm applying with Chase I'd think they'd be looking at my current standing with them and not that last thing they reported to a CRA.

The ideal way to do it was for you to be patient and wait. While Chase can look at your present balances with them, your current credit score took a hit from the "higher than ideal" utilization. Once the new balance reports, your score should be higher hypothetically.

That being said, you still stand a good chance for approval. The only difference it made was the CL you were supposed to get and what you're going to get. Call recon in the morning and explain whatever they need you to, and you should be approved.

Best of luck!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 24 of 31
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

You can join me and wait for a higher signup bonus since you dont need the card right now. I have been eyeballing this for a while now too. 

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 25 of 31
SALEEN961
Valued Member

Well I got a denial letter in the mail today so I'll have to call and recon.

For those who are interested they pulled TU and EX (as they did for my amazon card) but only gave me my TU score which was 747. I was denied for "too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us", and "credit card minimum payments required are too high", with the "primary factor that negatively affected my credit score" being "total minimum payments required on credit card accounts".

So if I'm reading this correctly they're worried that I won't be able to make the minimum payments on both my Chase cards if they give me a second one, lol, they really need to take a second look at my monthly spending and payment history.

Discover IT 38.5K | AMEX BCE 20K | AMEX BCE Preffered 25K | PayPal Extras MC 10K
Chase Freedom Visa Signature 25K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 24.1K | Chase Amazon 13.5K

Message 26 of 31
SALEEN961
Valued Member

Woot!

Recon approved for Chase Freedom 5K CL

Message 27 of 31
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Cool. Congrats!  so we will see you in the garden ?

Message 28 of 31
SALEEN961
Valued Member

I'll definitely be in the garden now, the Freedom card was the only other card I'm interested in. Now the plan is to let everything age and get some CLIs so I'll be ready to buy a car in a year, hopefully with FICO scores edging up to 800, I don't know if my scores will grow that fast and I know they probably won't based on how slowly they've grown in the past, but in any case I'd like to be hopeful.

Message 29 of 31
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approval and welcome to the party!!!Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.