cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Signup for 5% - I hate it!

tag
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Chase Freedom Signup for 5% - I hate it!

I hate how you have to separately sign up for the 5% category each quarter. Their hope is, of course, that you forget about it inadvertently and thus not receive your 5%.

I also hate how it is impossible to find the current 5% calendar when you're logged onto your chase.com online account. The account overview is clumsy to say the least. Small print, hard to read, useful information hard to find etc. With Discover, at least you can easily sign up for the 5% from your main account page. With Chase you always have to go to a separate site. I wonder why they make it so difficult. Yet another sneaky business practice. I don't feel taken seriously as a customer. I feel like someone who always has to watch one's moves and be one step ahead of the bank I'm dealing with.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Signup for 5% - I hate it!

Compared to Discover I guess it's a little more "difficult."  Did something happen?  It only takes a minute every 3 months or so.  Maybe you can set up a reminder and/or link the sign-up page in your favorites (if using IE)?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

I thought they just send me a text and I just reply ok or something like that

Message 3 of 10
CS800
Super Contributor

@john398 wrote:

Now that would be too easy Smiley Happy

I set up a reminder in my outlook for my Discover card this way I know what promo is running.

Message 4 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

It's the price of a decent rewards card that also has a fairly reasonable APR. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 5 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@john398 wrote:

Now that would be too easy Smiley Happy

I set up a reminder in my outlook for my Discover card this way I know what promo is running.

Ok they do send text reminders if you sign up here https://www.chasebonus.com/sms/

Message 6 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

They actually diod send me a text today which I replied BON and got me signed up for the 1st qtr,  that was easy

Message 7 of 10
TM82
Regular Contributor

It takes 5 minutes for 3 months of 5%.  So 20 minutes in the entire year to do.  If you don't like signing up then send a message to them complaining about it.  I'm sure they have people sign up for sales tracking, to see how many users actually sign up.

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 8 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Why do they have to remind you?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 9 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

According to Chase:

Q.How often and why do I need to activate my 5% cash back?
A. You need to activate new 5% cash back categories every three months. We ask you to activate because we want to make sure you're aware when categories change and where you can earn 5% cash back.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.