Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited: When to use?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Unlimited: When to use?

I have Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited. My goal card is Chase Sapphire Reserve. I am way over 5/24, so it could only happen with a green check mark or in branch approval.  However, even now I don't use the FU as it's only 1.5% compared to some 2% cards (Blispay, Citi DoubleCash and Fidelity) that I also have. I don't know that it makes sense to keep the FU if I'm never going to use it. Am I missing something obvious as to why FU is recommended as part of the trifecta and when it would ever be more rewarding than the straight 2% cards I have?

Last year I had a great year and now have over 300K in credit lines. This year, my focus is on retaining the cards that I will use and getting rid of ones that I don't care to manage anymore. Unless there is some compelling reason to keep FU, I was hoping to just move the CL over to Freedom and close it out.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited: When to use?

It would make sense if you accumulate UR points and later transfer them to airline/hotel programs, in which case the point value can be at 2 cents per point. You need CSP/CSR to be able to transfer the points, though.

With CSR you can also book trips through Chase's portal with UR points at 1.5 cents per point, while CSP gives 1.25 cents per point. You will be able to transfer UR points from one card to another.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know you can product change a sapphire to a freedom so there's a chance you may be able to change your freedom unlimited to a sapphire Reserve. Granted you will not get the sign up bonus and will be unable to get the Sapphire sign up bonus for 2 years, since you already can't get the Sapphire cards because you're already over 5/24 it's kind of a moot point, it's still a way to get the CSR now. Of course you would have to have a $10,000 credit line on the freedom Unlimited - the Sapphire preferred though only requires a $5,000 line and will still give you a lot of the benefits of the CSR. If your freedom has a higher limit than the unlimited you can change that and then change your unlimited to a freedom, or even pull their two limits on to one card and then change that one to a sapphire
Message 3 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The reason the trifecta is used is to maximize point earnings for redeeming for travel. When using the CSR for the 1.5x transfer bonus the other two cards get higher earnings.

Freedom: 5% -> 7.5%

Freedom Unlimited: 1.5% -> 2.25%

Just really depends on how much you want to dedicate yourself to the Chase UR ecosytem.

Message 4 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Have you booked award travel with any UR partners in the last few years? If so, what point values were you able to get? If URs offer you more value than other rewards programs, are you willing to cool it with the apps and get CSR at some point in the future?

There are reports that Chase is still looking to cut costs in CSR. The 1.5 cent per point option on CSR may be cut, as it is more expensive for Chase than airline miles are.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoirwrote:

The reason the trifecta is used is to maximize point earnings for redeeming for travel. When using the CSR for the 1.5x transfer bonus the other two cards get higher earnings.

Just really depends on how much you want to dedicate yourself to the Chase UR ecosytem.

THIS is exactly what I needed to know. Since I am working towards CSR, I am saving up my URs as I know there will be more valuable with a Sapphire product. I do plan to dedicate myself to the UR system once I can get the final card in my trifecta. The Freedom Unlimited will remain for now as it aligns with my long term credit goals. Thanks again for everyone's replies. I'm glad I asked instead of just getting crazy with the culling of the cards.

Message 6 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@simplynoirwrote:

THIS is exactly what I needed to know. Since I am working towards CSR, I am saving up my URs as I know there will be more valuable with a Sapphire product. I do plan to dedicate myself to the UR system once I can get the final card in my trifecta. The Freedom Unlimited will remain for now as it aligns with my long term credit goals. Thanks again for everyone's replies. I'm glad I asked instead of just getting crazy with the culling of the cards.

It's good to have a plan and goal cards, but keep in mind that rules can change, and there's probably an elevated risk of the 1.5 cpp changing.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 1.5x redemption rate is meh since you can pretty easily get 2cpp value through travel partners, and you get the same rates that way with the CSP as the CSR.
Message 8 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
The 1.5x redemption rate is meh since you can pretty easily get 2cpp value through travel partners, and you get the same rates that way with the CSP as the CSR.

That's certainly what I did when I had a CSP. But not everyone can (or wants to bother to try to) get value that way. Chase pays little enough for miles that transferability is cheaper for Chase (and therefore presumably more nerf-resistant for customers) than 1.5 cpp. My warning is more for people relying on the 1.5.

Message 9 of 12
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14wrote:

There are reports that Chase is still looking to cut costs in CSR. The 1.5 cent per point option on CSR may be cut, as it is more expensive for Chase than airline miles are.

The 1.5x redemptions at the travel portal are not only more expensive for Chase, but they are also more expensive for me.  I just bought an economy award ticket to Europe a few days ago and got a much better deal by transferring my UR to United miles than if I had redeemed the UR through the Chase travel portal.  As far as I am concerned, losing the ability to redeem through the 1.5x travel portal would not affect me.  If I can't redeem United miles for at least $.015 per mile, then I pay cash for the ticket.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.