Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited

just got off the phone with them. they're converting existing freedoms into the freedom unlimited.
Message 11 of 218
Anonymous
Not applicable

With APR going up already...they might as well do 3% unlimited and call it a day. 

Message 12 of 218
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Doing a little research, the source of the rumor says that it is basically a new product, "Chase Freedom Unlimited". It could be a quick / near term rollout as a new product, or replacement product.

Existing Freedom cardholders ("Chase Freedom") would keep the 5% rotating categories, which makes sense since they published those for 2016 already. These 5% categories would likely continue, until nerfed.

Whether the "Unlimited" version earned UR points or plain cash back is an open question.

Just one more reason for me to continue to lean on my Freedom card while the 10 points per swipe still shows up on my statement.

Reading some of the speculation I'd expect this would be 1.5% in plain cash and not UR points. They now say you can "redeem any amount anytime", which seems more likely to mean that this is cash and not points. Could be wrong, but with how hard Chase has cracked down on UR point earning, it wouldn't shock me.

I don't think the language suggests that they would not allow you to transfer URs to travel partners (assuming you have the CSP/Ink cards to do so). If Chase did something like that then I think it would result in a heavy drop in usage. The poijnts crowd would never use the the freedom and the cashback crowd would have better non-AF options.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 218
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
just got off the phone with them. they're converting existing freedoms into the freedom unlimited.

They are probably tired of people just using the card for 5% and nothing else. That's why most 5% cards have either been discontinued or nerfed considerably.

@Anonymous Wouldn't be surprised to see Discover follow suit at some point. Again, most consumers aren't fans of the rotating stuff. Most people don't want to spend mental effort thinking about which card to use for what.

Message 14 of 218
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That is just awesome that you are soo intense about credit cards that you immediately called the bank to ask what they are doing. Smiley Tongue

;
Message 15 of 218
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When is this happening? 

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 16 of 218
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They are probably tired of people just using the card for 5% and nothing else. That's why most 5% cards have either been discontinued or nerfed considerably.

@Anonymous Wouldn't be surprised to see Discover follow suit at some point. Again, most consumers aren't fans of the rotating stuff. Most people don't want to spend mental effort thinking about which card to use for what.

Yes, I'm sure they looked at what Amex was doing with the everyday cards and thought that was a good idea to become the main card in people's wallets. 

;
Message 17 of 218
red259
Super Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When is this happening? 

I heard in March, but don't have confirmation on that,

;
Message 18 of 218
Anonymous
Not applicable

okay. so i called again and spoke to an american native and she stated that they are going to run the two cards side by side. the freedom will be separate than the freedom unlimited. they are not doing away with existing freedoms with 5% categories and she sounded like she was more sure of her answers than the first person i talked to. so i believe stephanie over abib. lol.
Message 19 of 218
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
okay. so i called again and spoke to an american native and she stated that they are going to run the two cards side by side. the freedom will be separate than the freedom unlimited. they are not doing away with existing freedoms with 5% categories and she sounded like she was more sure of her answers than the first person i talked to. so i believe stephanie over abib. lol.

I think it's best to just wait and see what happens.

Message 20 of 218
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.