Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited

tag
dwz55
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited

Sounds boring, Chase hasn't excited me in few years since they started nerfing everything. I wouldn't doubt that in a year or 2 this becomes a 1.25% card.

TU 780 April 2014
EQ 797 May 2014
EX 786 May 2014
Message 31 of 218
redpat
Senior Contributor

1.50% is no big deal because they would give 30k in UR anyway with 5% categories.

So you have to spend 3.50 times to get the same result.  I think there data tells them that people only use their Freedom on 5% catagories.

CSP doesn't go away because 2 UR for travel and meals plus transfer ability to travel partners.

I don't understand the big deal.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 32 of 218
Anonymous
Not applicable

not to mention these sound like they'll be completely separate products. it would make more sense for the separation because it'll appeal to more people and they can now offer an "everyday" card to those only looking for cash back instead of MR
Message 33 of 218
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dwz55 wrote:

Sounds boring, Chase hasn't excited me in few years since they started nerfing everything. I wouldn't doubt that in a year or 2 this becomes a 1.25% card.

So....Don't apply?

Message 34 of 218
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Any which way, existing users won't probably be forced-converted into the "unlimited" card, at least this year. They only announced the 5% calendar a couple of months ago. 

Also, I don't see why they can't let the old Freedom-lovers continue with their previous reward system. Citi Forward and Dividend are still alive. Whether you find the categories useful is a different question. Last year, I found the airlines category great. This year, there's drugstore and rental cars, and department stores - in the upcoming three quarters. 

Freedom (the current version) can and should stay as it is for now. They are free to take away the new apps. 

BTW, I find this argument a bit self-contradictory:

"Regular folks find the 5% troublesome because they need to remember which card to use when. Oh, and regular folks don't own more than 3 credit cards."

Guys, regular folks are people with possibly 1 5% card which they use at whatever places they like. They really feel it like a bonus when they get those extra points. 

Message 35 of 218
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

It sounds like separate produce. Kind of like the Discover It and the Miles. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
Message 36 of 218
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
not to mention these sound like they'll be completely separate products. it would make more sense for the separation because it'll appeal to more people and they can now offer an "everyday" card to those only looking for cash back instead of MR

Wonder when/if they'll start accepting product changes from the current Freedom to the unlimited?  

Message 37 of 218
red259
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

1.50% is no big deal because they would give 30k in UR anyway with 5% categories.

So you have to spend 3.50 times to get the same result.  I think there data tells them that people only use their Freedom on 5% catagories.

CSP doesn't go away because 2 UR for travel and meals plus transfer ability to travel partners.

I don't understand the big deal.

Exactly. the argument that they won't do 1.5URs is rather silly because they are taking away the 5x categories and this would be a slick move to steal away all the swipes from the amex everyday preferred and they still collect the AF on the CSP or Ink card. Its a smart move to get the points crowd with them. For the cashback people its not the best deal out there, but there are many walking around with a freedom card and this type of move will help discourage them from looking at other 1.5% non-AF cards like the QS etc.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 38 of 218
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently Freedom IS a 1% cashback card, that's what you get as a statement credit for UR's, right? Before I found this site that's what I usually did. 

Makes me definitely want to hold DH off from apping for anything in case we'd want to grab CSP and FU  (hahahaha).

The new FU card from Chase. Smiley Very Happy 

Message 39 of 218
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Currently Freedom IS a 1% cashback card, that's what you get as a statement credit for UR's, right? Before I found this site that's what I usually did. 

Makes me definitely want to hold DH off from apping for anything in case we'd want to grab CSP and FU  (hahahaha).

The new FU card from Chase. Smiley Very Happy 

Yes, just make sure to research the travel partners and transfer rates to make sure you can use the URs. If you an then that would be a really smart move. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 40 of 218
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.