Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Upcoming Bonus Categories

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Upcoming Bonus Categories

@thrasher865 wrote:

@LisaPA wrote:
At first, I read the title as "bogus" categories. Smiley Tongue Thanks for this though, it helped me decide against apping the Chase. Since I rent and live carless in the city, most of those categories aren't any use to me.

Thats basically what it is, bogus.  I switched my purchases to my Discover.  They've always had the better customer service, now they have the better rewards, or at least the same rewards, to match.

I have to say that Discover's "bonuses" are becoming close to worthless. Their March Cashback Bonus is on Grocery Stores and Drug Stores...5% on purchases up to $200. That is a maximum of $10....and it is NOT a quarterly bonus. It is good for only the month of March.

Discover's "rewards" are really deteriorating. I wasn't aware until I joined this forum that you don't even really get 1% cashback from Discover. Your first $3,000 of spending is only 0.25%. Because Discover was one of the first cashback cards, I think it survives today on its former reputation. There certainly are better rewards cards out there.

I haven't ever had the Chase Freedom, so I don't know if it's any better.

Message 11 of 19
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Lel wrote:

@laz98 wrote:
5% really isn't that much, is it?  Smiley Sad

If there are cards that offer a higher cash rebate for everyday purchases, I'd like to know what they are!

We use the Discover 5% categories to their maximum...which isn't very much.

PenFed is 5% cash back on gas at the pump year round and 2% cash back on groceries year round. Also, the cashback credit is on your next statement, so we get more than enough each month to cover the cost of a tank of gas.

Message 12 of 19
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

@psychic wrote:

I came across this today:

I spoke to a Chase CSR yesterday.  I asked if these spending categories will also apply to cardholders who've recently received notification that their Freedom cards will receive 5% rebates on select purchases beginning March 31st.  I was informed that the above spending categories are for cards receiving 3% rebates, and the upcoming 5% bonus categories may be different.  The CSR had no idea of what the 5% bonus categories will be.

I plan on checking back with Chase at the end of this month to see if they have any more information.

EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 13 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Still at 1% here!

Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 19
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

I just spoke with a Chase CSR.  It appears that Chase will now be offering 5% cash back, even to cardholders who were previously receiving 3% cash rebates from the Freedom Ultimate Rewards program.

This is from https://www.yourchasefreedom.com/ :

EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 15 of 19
Gh0st
Contributor

So the chase freedom is back to 5% from now on instead of 3%? Whats the catch? is there a cap?

Why would a company raise a cash back like that? 

.Believe.
Message 16 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, they have all that spare cash from refusing to give me my 3% categories! Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I just called and confirmed with CSR regarding my Freedom Rewards program.   She said mine will be still the same, which is 3% on top 3 out of 15 categories, until end of April 2010.  Then it changes ...  So, I must make sure to earn and redeem the points before end of April.  If not, I will loose $50 Bonus Cash Back.

It seems each one's on different date to change the rewards program.

Message 18 of 19
Gh0st
Contributor

I guess theres a cap

To be eligible for this bonus offer, you must enroll in the offer by 6/14/10. This bonus offer only applies to net purchases made with your credit card during the promotional period at merchants that classify their merchant location for Visa/MasterCard in any of the following categories: drugstores, home improvement stores and hardware stores, home furnishing stores, lawn and garden stores. Purchases not eligible to receive bonus rewards include, but are not limited to, purchases made at superstores, warehouse clubs, discount stores, and their affiliates. Online and catalog purchases are not eligible to receive the bonus rewards unless the merchants have correctly identified and billed the transactions. We do not determine whether merchants correctly identify and bill transactions as being made in each category. However, we do reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for the bonus rewards. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks after the last day of the promotional period for bonus rewards to post to your account. Maximum bonus reward accumulation during the promotional period is $32. Bonus rewards earned from this promotional offer will not count against any maximum reward accumulation in the rewards program, if applicable. Credit card product changes during the promotional period will forfeit this bonus offer. To qualify for this promotional offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. This promotional offer is non-transferable. 

You will receive your bonus if you meet the requirements specified in this offer. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks after the last day of the promotional period for bonus rewards to post to your account.Maximum bonus reward accumulation during the promotional period is $7.50. Bonus rewards earned from this promotional offer will not count against any maximum reward accumulation in the rewards program, if applicable. Credit card product changes during the promotional period will forfeit this bonus offer. To qualify for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. This promotional offer is non-transferable.

2nd Quarter Categories:

Home improvement 
Lawn and Garden 
Home furnishings
Drugstore  purchase

Cap of $20 (2,000 points) in bonus rewards for the quarter.

booo

.Believe.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.