Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom: Visa or MC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom: Visa or MC?

What kind Chase Freedom Card did you get? The Visa or the Mastercard?

I could have sworn that I asked for the MC when I applied, but end up with a Visa Signature that doesn't report Credit Limit.

Is there a way to ask to change from the Visa to the MC? (Reasons being, MC might report CL if it's not the World MC, and overall variety, I'd wanted 1 Visa, 1 Amex, and 1 MC instead of 2 Visa)

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom: Visa or MC?

I'd call Chase to ask them for a switch to a Freedom MC (not World MC).  Chase loves to give out those siggie cards (I have 2 from them) if they can.  The banks collect higher merchant fees on those cards.  They are definitely PIF cards because of how they report but they do have their benefits too.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Will try and update Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Called Chase Customer Service twice, the first one said, they will check with the underwriting dept? see if it can be done. Called again today, and the rep told me that they don't change visas to mastercards anymore.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you would have to probably do a complete product change away from the Freedom card if that's the case.  Can't you at least get them to downgrade you out of the signature product into a regular visa so cl reports.  My freedom is Freedom Plus non signature card.

Message 5 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, I converted my Chase Platinum Visa to a Chase Freedom Visa not long ago. It is reporting my CL and it is not a signature card.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

As to which card you get my personal banker at chase told me that if you apply On-line they are more likely to give you the mastercard and sometimes request the visa... If you apply in branch however they always give out Visa's

Message 7 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I had a Chase Borders Rewards Visa, and when they ended that program, they switched me to a Freedom Visa.

It took forty-'leven years for it to start offering the special rewards categories, but they finally let me in from the cold.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update,

I received the letter from Chase Cardmember Service (on the same day that Citibank sent me my new credit card approval letter + terms and conditions, which I thought was just amusing)  :

Dear Aoi:

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we always strive to ensure that our customers have the flexibility to take advantage of the many different credit card products we offer. We have noted your recent request to switch your current account, noted above, to a different product that better meets your need.

We regret that we are unable to accommodate your request at this time due to certain provisions of a new federal law which became effective on August 20, 2009. While our longer term goal is to restore and preserve our ability to help customers switch to products that better meet their needs, it will take us some time to make changes to ensure compliance with these new requirements.

For now, we can offer you the alternative of applying for this new product by calling the toll-free number on the back of your card or by visiting our Website noted on the back of your card. If you are approved for this new account, you would have the option to maintain both accounts or close your current one and pay off that balance over time.

We apologize for this inconvenience and hope you will consider this alternative to meet your immediate needs. We know that you have choices in financial products, and we thank you for choosing us as your financial services provider.

Sincerely,

Chase Financial Service Advisor

Message 9 of 11
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I called Amex and see if they can change my Platinum card to Gold. CSR said, due to the new laws,  I have to wait 13 months before I can ask for the product change or I can apply for a new gold card. I guess it is same with all the companies now a days. I was going to call Chase and ask them if they would convert my freedom card to saphire card. I guess it is probably out of question now due to the new regulations.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.