Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Visa...worth the recon?

tag
VeggieTales
Established Member

Chase Freedom Visa...worth the recon?

Hi all!

So I app'd for the Chase Freedom Visa and the Citi Dividend on the same day and got approved for Dividend but denied for Chase. I got the denial notice today in the mail from Chase and they cited their reason as "current obligations too high relative to income". What exactly does that mean? I'm currently a grad student with a $30,000 income if that helps. My cards and their limits are in my siggy. My reason for wanting both cards is to ultimately replace the Cap1 cards I've been using to build my credit. I'm not a big fan of Chase, but I thought I would try to apply anyway. So that's why I'm not too motivated for trying a recon. Do you think I should? 

Oh my Experian FICO that I received with my Citi Dividend approval notice is 718 

Thanks in advance 

Chase $4K | Citi Dividend Platinum Select $2K | Citi Forward $2K | Capital One Platinum $2K | Discover IT $1.6K| Capital One Journey $750 | Bank of America Cash Rewards $500 | Macy's Store $500 |
Starting Score: 652 (TU, 04/15)
Current Score: 652 (TU, 04/15)
Goal Score: 800

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Visa...worth the recon?

Do you have balances on those cards?  Student loans outstanding?

Message 2 of 15
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@VeggieTales wrote:

Hi all!

So I app'd for the Chase Freedom Visa and the Citi Dividend on the same day and got approved for Dividend but denied for Chase. I got the denial notice today in the mail from Chase and they cited their reason as "current obligations too high relative to income". What exactly does that mean? I'm currently a grad student with a $30,000 income if that helps. My cards and their limits are in my siggy. My reason for wanting both cards is to ultimately replace the Cap1 cards I've been using to build my credit. I'm not a big fan of Chase, but I thought I would try to apply anyway. So that's why I'm not too motivated for trying a recon. Do you think I should? 

Oh my Experian FICO that I received with my Citi Dividend approval notice is 718 

Thanks in advance 

It basically means that you owe more than your stated income on your credit cards. This is possibly due to your student loans whether or not they are due now or deferred. It wouldn't hurt to try a recon since you already took a HP.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 3 of 15
VeggieTales
Established Member

I only had a balance on the Forward card $197 when I applied, the others were $0. My loans are in deferment since I'm currently in grad school and are increasing size as the semesters go by :/. I didn't think that my loans would have contributed to their decision since I'm not in the repayment period as of yet. 

Chase $4K | Citi Dividend Platinum Select $2K | Citi Forward $2K | Capital One Platinum $2K | Discover IT $1.6K| Capital One Journey $750 | Bank of America Cash Rewards $500 | Macy's Store $500 |

Message 4 of 15
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@VeggieTales wrote:

Hi all!

Thanks in advance 

I was just the opposite. Approval for $5k from chase, decline from Citi.

Never hurts to try a recon.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 15
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

got nothing to lose recon and GL.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 6 of 15
VeggieTales
Established Member

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try for a recon tomorrow. 

Message 7 of 15
VeggieTales
Established Member

Just to update anyone who was wondering. I finally did the recon and clarified that I was currently in grad school so essentially had additional income through student loan refunds and I was approved for $3000! Thank you all for encouraging me to go through with it! 

Message 8 of 15
alboto
Regular Contributor

@VeggieTales wrote:

Just to update anyone who was wondering. I finally did the recon and clarified that I was currently in grad school so essentially had additional income through student loan refunds and I was approved for $3000! Thank you all for encouraging me to go through with it! 

Its always good to recon whenever you took the HP already. Congratulations on your new cards!!!

Message 9 of 15
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Nice Congrats

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.