Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Vs Amex

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Chase Freedom Vs Amex

Do these cards compare? 

im talking about any amex. 

from what ive read people compare these. 

im not asking to have a fanboy rave on here but is chase freedom a really good card to have? 

i apped for it well because of a balance transfer that was denied but anyways. i have the card now and am alot of people wanting this card. 

im just curious why?  

someone in another thread said his chase freedom was = to his amex. 

amex is something im aiming for so im just curious here. 

is freedom harder to get then amex? 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Vs Amex

You are asking a very vague question. Be specific, which AMEX are you talking about? Better yet what is your spending habit?

And this statement contradicts each other.

"i apped for it well because of a balance transfer that was denied but anyways. i have the card now and am alot of people wanting this card. "

Message 2 of 24
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Chase is a decent card but ain't gonna touch AMEX in CLIs and backdating.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 24
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Honestly its vague to me. 

Any amex?

i can admit besides of backdating i don't know anything about amex other then that its a desirable card. * so please educate me*

and i applied for the card to bt my best buy card. (at the time had 2100 due of 2500 limit) (already paid 1800 of that and don't plan on purchases there anytime soon)

i received a limit of 500 on chase freedom and obviously the bt was denied. 

I have been using it regularly and have already put 300 (500 in 3 months for extra 100 cashback) on it in a week that everything will pif friday. 

im just curious on the reasoning why freedom compares ( at the time my credit was not that great and anyone can get freedom' s) 

i guess i was mistaken. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 4 of 24
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

AMEX zync is easier to get than Chase freedom. 

Freedom's 5% is awesome but only good upto $1500 per quarter, Zync's packs offer 2% back on catagoreis for a small anual fee. 

BCE and BCP offer 3%+ on different catagories all year long no limits

AMEX CLI's can grow with you extremely fast  if you have the income and score to support it...  3x CLI after 61 days  (Chase likes  5 months for the first CLI)

second CLI of 3x at  6 months.  .i.e  start with a 2k card,  61 days CLI to  6k,  6 months later 18k, 6 months after that you can max out the automated system at 25k CLI 

AP for additional AMEX cards is a SP unless approved then its hard. 

Extras availible for AMEX are first rate and get better as your AF increases. 

and the major reason to have AMEX.... BACKDATING. 

got my first AMEX card in   12/11 (blue)... got my  second AMEX (Zync) in january 1/2012.... credit report shows the Zync card is 11 months older than the Blue card...

But there is no reason not to have both...  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 24
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

Freedom's 5% is awesome but only good upto $1500 per quarter, Zync's packs offer 2% back on catagoreis for a small anual fee. 

AMEX CLI's can grow with you extremely fast  if you have the income and score to support it...  3x CLI after 61 days  (Chase likes  5 months for the first CLI)

second CLI of 3x at  6 months.  .i.e  start with a 2k card,  61 days CLI to  6k,  6 months later 18k, 6 months after that you can max out the automated system at 25k CLI 

got my first AMEX card in   12/11 (blue)... got my  second AMEX (Zync) in january 1/2012.... credit report shows the Zync card is 11 months older than the Blue card...

ok so if you dont have the income to support it? its not really worth it for you am i correct? (income is only at 25k(before taxes) at the moment) (working full time while going to school full time)

i was planning on waiting until decmeber to app for amex (any card) and then getting another after march (when more then half my inquries fall off) so my score will be up. 

and also what i have read here is that if you have one amex already everything then on out is a soft hit. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 6 of 24
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@OlegWasHere wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

ok so if you dont have the income to support it? its not really worth it for you am i correct? (income is only at 25k(before taxes) at the moment) (working full time while going to school full time)

i was planning on waiting until decmeber to app for amex (any card) and then getting another after march (when more then half my inquries fall off) so my score will be up. 

and also what i have read here is that if you have one amex already everything then on out is a soft hit. 

If you don't have income to support it you are heading for a very sad ending fast. Chase's APR on freedom is over 20% a $1000 balace for a year will cost you an additonal $200 in interest. Even AMEX best rate is 15+%.  If you can't afford it don't buy it. 

WIth AMEX charge cards you have to winthin 2 weeks of of statement cut. (yes there is some leeway but don't count on it too much). 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Message 7 of 24
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@OlegWasHere wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

If you don't have income to support it you are heading for a very sad ending fast. Chase's APR on freedom is over 20% a $1000 balace for a year will cost you an additonal $200 in interest. Even AMEX best rate is 15+%.  If you can't afford it don't buy it. 

WIth AMEX charge cards you have to winthin 2 weeks of of statement cut. (yes there is some leeway but don't count on it too much). 

well what happend was that i suckered into the finance for 18 months at bby. 

the way they told me at the store was that i could not allocate my funds and that whatever i paid would be split between everything. 

little to my knowledge if i called the card company themselves and paid over the phone i could. 

in the 1 year 10 months ive had the card ive put at least 3k(and am now a "preferred" member of reward zone on it between 2 laptops an xbox a wii car remote starter/alarm and other misc items. 

i let it pile up and thats where it got me. 

i have never been late and always paid more then the minumum. 

and always it was split. 

the only thing left on the card now is my sisters laptop that she pays for monthly of 100$ (purchase price of 829) (since she didnt have the money and needed a laptop for school  i did this as a small part of her gift for her birthday) 

this was before i knew anything about credit and how util. effects score. next month the only balance i will let report is that one which will be 350/8100 credit limit which 

honestly the only bills i have atm are my cell phone 78/month and insurance 89/month plus gas we will say 60/month everything else i can spend on whatever i want. 

i just basically replaced my debit card with the freedom. so 78+89+60=229.  if i dont take any overtime i will take home 1400/month after taxes.

im not looking for a 25k limit 

just something larger then 500. 

its all in the hype. if amex really isnt that good im happy with any credit card honestly as long as they report. 

keep in mind i just turned 21 last month. 

i know in this day in age credit is everything so im just trying to plan for the future. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 8 of 24
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

20% on freedom..huh?

Mines 9.9%. Not sure about that whole 20% deal.
Message 9 of 24
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I got the 22.99%...  

"Variable APR of 12.99% - 22.99% after intro periods. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred with a minimum of $5."  Perhaps in time I will be able to get it down, when my UTL is closer to 9% instead of 21% UTL and my card has a year on it or more. 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.