Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Vs Amex

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Vs. Amex

im not sure what my apr was. 

I knew I was going to pay it off before the promotional the 15 months was up. I was just delaying.

I was mad I got charged 65 in interest from one of the promotions that expired. So I appped for the card. 

was approved instantly but she didn't know and said the bt would take 7-10 days to verify. 

I actually paid most of the balance down before I even knew if the bt went through or not. 

so in a way it was a blessing. 

but enough about me. 

THE MAIN QUESTION WAS

is chase freedom hard to get? then amex. 

i was just shocked i was instant approval. 

and 

this makes it seem that it would be easy for me to get an amex card and then do what everyone else is doing with backdating that would help my score. 

im fine with a charge card since i was always a firm believer or not buying what you can't pay. (I paid in cash for everything since I was 14. Including my first two cars) 

but once I was introduced to this world, the swipe is where its at.) 

plus im looking at getting a mortgage in the next 5-7 years and want an early start. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 11 of 24
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Vs. Amex

Id say chase freedom is slightly easier to get than american express. It may be even with the Amex Zync. 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 12 of 24
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Vs Amex

op your comparing one card to a whole variety.   only downside to amex is i cant go one day on this site lol without seeing one member stating either an FR or a hard limit placed on npsl

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 13 of 24
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Amex is a little harder to get but will grow with you better than Chase. I'm freeing the Freedom card next August and then one card yearly after that. When the dust settles, one of my Amex cards will be left.

Chase has good CS and the card is fine. I probably would have gotten a better CL/rate if waiting a few months until utilization was down. I wouldn't have applied at all knowing customer CLI requests are a HP. I'm only keeping it until the HP falls off EX, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 24
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

Amex is a little harder to get but will grow with you better than Chase. I'm freeing the Freedom card next August and then one card yearly after that. When the dust settles, one of my Amex cards will be left.

Chase has good CS and the card is fine. I probably would have gotten a better CL/rate if waiting a few months until utilization was down. I wouldn't have applied at all knowing customer CLI requests are a HP. I'm only keeping it until the HP falls off EX, LOL!

only 1 card in the end??

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 15 of 24
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

I have the Chase Freedom as well as the Amex Zync. In my opinion, the Freedom seems to be a little harder to get due to the nice rewards it offers. The ONLY reason I got the Zync was because its the easiest card to get from Amex and I plan on getting some of their revolvers after I graduate (Im a 21yr old college student as well). I use my Zync for everyday transactions and the Freedom only on the 5% categories. It all depends on what you are looking for. 

The Zync does not offer anything for me regarding rewards but it got my foot in the door with them. Chase isnt too bad with CLI; I went from $500 to $1500 in a year. People are always talking about the Freedom because you earn more rewards if you have a Chase checking account. Having a Chase checking, Freedom, and CSP is like the ultimate rewards trifecta Smiley Tongue 

Think about what cards you will want later on down the road. 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 16 of 24
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

I have both Chase and AMEX. It was hard to get both.

Honestly, I never thought I would ever get approved for an AMEX card due to three denials in 2011. Just in May, I was approved for two of their cards (a charge card and a revolver). Chase also approved me for the freedom card back in May.. Just to give you an idea of how difficult it was to get it approved .. I had to call about four times! It's a small limit .. But it's a good start with Chase.

I believe Chase Freedom has better rewards than AMEX BCE .. just an observation .. it's more with the freedom than BCE!

Current Cards:
Message 17 of 24
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@iMacDrew,

I'll also keep the Citi Cash Returns and one USAA. Citi took a risk on me very early in rebuilding.

I won't need $40ish K in available credit once things are together and cash flow is right.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 24
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@altayar wrote:

Honestly, I never thought I would ever get approved for an AMEX card due to three denials in 2011. Just in May, I was approved for two of their cards (a charge card and a revolver). Chase also approved me for the freedom card back in May.. Just to give you an idea of how difficult it was to get it approved .. I had to call about four times! It's a small limit .. But it's a good start with Chase.

I believe Chase Freedom has better rewards than AMEX BCE .. just an observation .. it's more with the freedom than BCE!

i previously got denied for chase 3 times in the past as well. (never reconed i was 18/19/20) 21 is the magic number i guess.

do they give a revolver amex to first timers? or is it only charge then revolver. 

at the time i plan on apping? december 

my aaoa will be 1.1 with my oldest being 2 years 2 months and 2nd would be 2 years.  

come to think of it none of my inquries will fall off by then should i just app now and then be satisfied with everything and will be gardening indefitly. with the amex aging as well? 

what i wanted to do in december was app for any amex and then in august 13' all of my inquries would have been non factor(except for the amex) with my aaoa being back up to 1.7

wait till september? all the inquries and new cards show in my most recent credit reports so even with the new cards im doing alright. 

just waiting for freedom-0 but 280 on it/kohls shows153-0/macys 87-0 plus i got a cli to 3500 from 2k/mastercard-33-0 to all show 0 balance and i would be good. 

i dont want to app but my next set of inquries fall of in feb which would slow my backdating. 

ughh i need to stop overthinking. 

and just garden. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 19 of 24
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

I would apply for a charge card first. If you get approved, try ON THE SAME DAY to apply for a revolver.

I had over 14 inquiries with EX at the time I was approved for both cards with AMEX ( Green and BCE).

@OlegWasHere wrote:

@altayar wrote:

i previously got denied for chase 3 times in the past as well. (never reconed i was 18/19/20) 21 is the magic number i guess.

do they give a revolver amex to first timers? or is it only charge then revolver. 

at the time i plan on apping? december 

my aaoa will be 1.1 with my oldest being 2 years 2 months and 2nd would be 2 years.  

come to think of it none of my inquries will fall off by then should i just app now and then be satisfied with everything and will be gardening indefitly. with the amex aging as well? 

what i wanted to do in december was app for any amex and then in august 13' all of my inquries would have been non factor(except for the amex) with my aaoa being back up to 1.7

wait till september? all the inquries and new cards show in my most recent credit reports so even with the new cards im doing alright. 

just waiting for freedom-0 but 280 on it/kohls shows153-0/macys 87-0 plus i got a cli to 3500 from 2k/mastercard-33-0 to all show 0 balance and i would be good. 

i dont want to app but my next set of inquries fall of in feb which would slow my backdating. 

ughh i need to stop overthinking. 

and just garden. 

Current Cards:
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.