Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom and Chase Amazon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom and Chase Amazon

Alright so I did some checkin.

The Chase Amazon- 3% back at Amazon, 2% gas and dining, 1% everything else.  No caps.

The SM- If SM does anything but 1% on Amazon, wasn't on the URL, but I mighta just missed it?

Gives ya 5% on student loan payback LOL, which I paid off about 30 years ago.  But hey I can go in the bookstore and get cash back on text books.

250 dollars caps on gas and groceries.  Is that gonna be 250 each or combined?  I spend about a 1000 a month on those items combined.

And I get 1% on everything else.

I'm not worried about the chase apr, I don't carry balances.

Now I dunno much, but it seems the chase is the better deal for a joker like me?

Message 11 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

750 on Amazon per month
250 on Gas per month
250 on Groceries per month.
Message 12 of 31
Santi78342
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Alright so I did some checkin.

The Chase Amazon- 3% back at Amazon, 2% gas and dining, 1% everything else.  No caps.

The SM- If SM does anything but 1% on Amazon, wasn't on the URL, but I mighta just missed it?

Gives ya 5% on student loan payback LOL, which I paid off about 30 years ago.  But hey I can go in the bookstore and get cash back on text books.

250 dollars caps on gas and groceries.  Is that gonna be 250 each or combined?  I spend about a 1000 a month on those items combined.

And I get 1% on everything else.

I'm not worried about the chase apr, I don't carry balances.

Now I dunno much, but it seems the chase is the better deal for a joker like me?

You get 5% back on Amazon up to $750/month. Gas and groceries are 5% on up to $250/month EACH.

EDIT: Nixon beat me to it :-P It should be noted that some people have been lucky enough to get TWO Sallie Mae CCs to double the monthly caps.

Message 13 of 31
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

So is it 5% on Amazon website, or just buying from the bookstore side of the site?

Message 14 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

On Amazons website
Message 15 of 31
kdm31091
Super Contributor

What are you primarily going to use the Amazon and/or Sallie for? If it's strictly Amazon spending, the Sallie will give you a higher return, the caveat being that you can't redeem for much other than a statement credit. If you don't care about that, it's a better choice. I do personally prefer a bit wider a range of redemption options. Yes, I know statement credit is "as good as anything else" but it's still nice to have choices!

For non Amazon, it depends, the Amazon card gives 2% on dining and drugstores and gas and office supply stores so if you don't already have those covered, it can be valuable. If you already have a gas/grocery card Sallie isn't quite as huge a win but it is still more than other cards, at least up til the cap.

I have both, I like both, honestly I get more use out of the Amazon's 2% dining currently than anything, but my gas spend isn't much and I am in a habit of using BCE for groceries (and I shop at BJ's a lot anyway, where I use my BJ's card).

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help.

The caps on gas and groceries on the SM don't much work for me, but I can see using it for Amazon.  Perhaps I just get BOTH.  But that would take a few months, (one now, one later thing)That's prolly what Nixon would do. Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just get them both now.
Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help.

The caps on gas and groceries on the SM don't much work for me, but I can see using it for Amazon.  Perhaps I just get BOTH.  But that would take a few months, (one now, one later thing)That's prolly what Nixon would do. Smiley LOL

Well, wait just a second here. Even if you think of the cashback on Amazon and groceries as just an added benefit, the Sallie Mae MC is the superior card for gas as well except at very high levels of spending.

The amount of savings per month on gas for Sallie Mae: (.05)($250) + .01(X - $250) = S, where X is the amount of gas spent and S is the amount of money saved. (Do keep in mind that even past the caps, Sallie Mae offers 1% back on gas)

The amount of savings per month on gas for Chase Amazon: (.02)(X) = S.

Setting the two equations equal to each other, the equilibrium point is when X equals $1000. And equation two is only greater than equation one for values of X greater than $1000. Even if you don't understand the math, this means you would have to spend strictly more than $1000 PER MONTH on gas for Chase Amazon to save more money on gas than good ol' Sallie. I'm not saying that isn't possible...but if you DO spend more than $1000 per month in gas, that leads directly into my next point...

If you were originally going to go with both Sallie Mae and Chase Amazon, might I recommend another cobranded Chase card for gas? Chase AARP gives you unlimited 3% back on gas (with unlimited 3% back at restaurants as well as an added bonus). 

I hate to say it so bluntly, but I just don't think Chase Amazon would be a good fit for you. Of course, you do what you want. But as a guy who is both mathematics and rewards inclined, the numbers just aren't there for Chase Amazon.

Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Well, wait just a second here. Even if you think of the cashback on Amazon and groceries as just an added benefit, the Sallie Mae MC is the superior card for gas as well except at very high levels of spending.

The amount of savings per month on gas for Sallie Mae: (.05)($250) + .01(X - $250) = S, where X is the amount of gas spent and S is the amount of money saved. (Do keep in mind that even past the caps, Sallie Mae offers 1% back on gas)

The amount of savings per month on gas for Chase Amazon: (.02)(X) = S.

Setting the two equations equal to each other, the equilibrium point is when X equals $1000. And equation two is only greater than equation one for values of X greater than $1000. Even if you don't understand the math, this means you would have to spend strictly more than $1000 PER MONTH on gas for Chase Amazon to save more money on gas than good ol' Sallie. I'm not saying that isn't possible...but if you DO spend more than $1000 per month in gas, that leads directly into my next point...

If you were originally going to go with both Sallie Mae and Chase Amazon, might I recommend another cobranded Chase card for gas? Chase AARP gives you unlimited 3% back on gas (with unlimited 3% back at restaurants as well as an added bonus). 

I hate to say it so bluntly, but I just don't think Chase Amazon would be a good fit for you. Of course, you do what you want. But as a guy who is both mathematics and rewards inclined, the numbers just aren't there for Chase Amazon.

I think of the Amazon Rewards as somewhat of a halfhearted attempt at a good rewards card. It's not particularly good at anything.

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.