Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom and Chase Amazon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom and Chase Amazon

Indeed. I hope the OP takes this into consideration when he applies. Chase "Amazon' is a misnomer. Sallie Mae is the real Amazon card unless you literally spend more than $1500 per month on Amazon as well (yes, I did the math for that as well).

Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

One minor point I'd like to clarify. Sallie mae is $750 per statement cycle (month) for bookstores, $250 for gas, and $250 for groceries. Almost all Amazon purchases, other than prime subscription, Kindle books, and some digital content, bill as bookstores. So unless you have very high Amazon spend or very digital heavy Amazon spend, the Sallie Mae card is the best Amazon card.

The Sallie Mae card is beaten by other cards for gas and groceries, but it is a no AF 5% card for both. I treat them as bonuses. Since my gas spend is rarely over $250, it serves as my primary gas card. Some cards like the Pen Fed gas card is better for gas due to 5% unlimited rewards, but the card is hard to get (much harder than Sallie Mae) and only has gas rewards. The Sallie Mae is better than the Amex BCE for low end grocery spend. Even for grocery spend at the 6k/year level, if you meet at least $250/month on groceries, the Sallie Mae is equal to the BCE (better than BCE under 6k). The BCP is a better grocery card at higher spends, though if you have exceptionally high grocery spend having Sallie Mae and BCP is useful. 

In a nutshell, the Sallie Mae card excels in many categories. For people who don't have Amazon spend it is a card that might make sense passing up. For those with regular Amazon spend, this is a must have card due to its high bookstore 5% cap. If you regularly bill over $750 on Amazon each month a secondary Amazon card like the Chase Amazon Visa might make sense. 

Finally, the Sallie Mae card is not just for students just like the Chase AARP card is not just for AARP members (you can get it at 18). It does offer redemption options that involve student loans, but I just take a statement credit. Statement credits work for all of us and no student loans or other relationship with Sallie Mae is required. 

Message 22 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think of the Amazon Rewards as somewhat of a halfhearted attempt at a good rewards card. It's not particularly good at anything.

Yes, but I think of it more as an old card that needs updating.   I got mine in 2004, which I believe is relatively soon after it came out.   At that time, no Sallie Mae type card, and 1% was the norm for most cc rewards (no Quicksilver type  cards, although later there was the Cap One 1% + 0.5% annual bonus card) and 2% cards weren't common (= I didn't know of any).   So a card that paid 3%!!!! on Amazon, +2% on some other categories was amazing.

ANd it has stayed the same while others have overtaken.  Sallie Mae + Double Cash (or similar) will be better for most spends.

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

So they should add 2% addtl to current categories and add 1% addtl to uncategorized spend.

It would be the darling of FT for the 2-3mos it'd take them to add a cap to it or shut down flagrant abuse.
Message 24 of 31
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I do spend a lot on Amazon, but it has 2% on gas right? (the chase)

And ain't Sallie Mae the guys that do student loans???  So I was thinkin the SM was for students or recent students?  I am kinda new around here sooo I dunno.

I started with the chase amazon, and the apr on Sallie Mae about the same.  There are some things that won't get you the 5% back, so it doesn't hurt to have this card.  Now, if you want to transfer over to AARP later, then the credit limit can be added to your app for the AARP, which is 3% gas and restaurants! but I like the 2% on the dining, including drug stores.  You also don't need to pump, they allow for other purchases at a gas station (handy for those of us cheap, and don't have a car). Smiley Tongue

Signature needs updating
Message 25 of 31
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

What are you primarily going to use the Amazon and/or Sallie for? If it's strictly Amazon spending, the Sallie will give you a higher return, the caveat being that you can't redeem for much other than a statement credit. If you don't care about that, it's a better choice. I do personally prefer a bit wider a range of redemption options. Yes, I know statement credit is "as good as anything else" but it's still nice to have choices!

For non Amazon, it depends, the Amazon card gives 2% on dining and drugstores and gas and office supply stores so if you don't already have those covered, it can be valuable. If you already have a gas/grocery card Sallie isn't quite as huge a win but it is still more than other cards, at least up til the cap.

I have both, I like both, honestly I get more use out of the Amazon's 2% dining currently than anything, but my gas spend isn't much and I am in a habit of using BCE for groceries (and I shop at BJ's a lot anyway, where I use my BJ's card).

And this.

Signature needs updating
Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Just get them both now.

WWND? Both, and toss in a venture and... well you get the picture.

Message 27 of 31
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And if a guy had a good, but short history with Freedom card, would that be enough to qualify?

One doesn't really determne the other.  Two different people with "good but short history with the Freedom" could have entirely different results.  As always, decison is based on one's entire credit profile (not just history with one card) and income.

Message 28 of 31
bigbang91
Established Contributor

i thought the Sallie Mae only cover purchases sold by amazon?Does it cover purchases sold by other seller on amazon. I dont want to pay tax for every purchases

Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In general terms is the Chase Amazon more difficult to land than the Freedom?  And if a guy had a good, but short history with Freedom card, would that be enough to qualify?

Not on the Prequal list.

I have the Chase Amazon and the APR on mine was I think 22% but I'm not really worried about it since I always PIF. I do shop at amazon and buy my ebooks there for reading so it has it uses becuase of it 3% reward. I think there's better card out there for card. I uses my TrueEarning from Costco for my gas.

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.