cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom and Discover IT have the SAME 5% cash back categories in Q2???

tag
bigbang91
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom and Discover IT have the SAME 5% cash back categories in Q2???

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I plan to max out my bonus spend on McDonalds. $3K worth of Big Macs and sweet iced teas, here I come.

BTW one thing I noticed with Chase vs Discover is how flexible Discover is with WHERE you get your bonus cb. For example, with Discover, I get 5% gas at Sams Club even though their T&C specifically excludes warehouse stores... With Chase though, it seems like they're a stickler for what's in their T&C. The same Walmart where I get bonus grocery % using my BoA 123 card, I only get 1% with the Freedom.

"Not including Walmart and Target" is in the headline disclosures on the Freedom Groceries category.

2015 Freedom Categories.JPG

It's possible I'm just horrible at getting my point across, but I don't think you read what I wrote carefully enough. Smiley Happy

Its because of the merchant's code.Visa recognized sam club walmart code,and send information to chase.those same merchants may register gheir code differently with discover,so it appears as grocery store.

Message 21 of 36
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom and Discover IT have the SAME 5% cash back categories in Q2???

@bigbang91 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I plan to max out my bonus spend on McDonalds. $3K worth of Big Macs and sweet iced teas, here I come.

BTW one thing I noticed with Chase vs Discover is how flexible Discover is with WHERE you get your bonus cb. For example, with Discover, I get 5% gas at Sams Club even though their T&C specifically excludes warehouse stores... With Chase though, it seems like they're a stickler for what's in their T&C. The same Walmart where I get bonus grocery % using my BoA 123 card, I only get 1% with the Freedom.

"Not including Walmart and Target" is in the headline disclosures on the Freedom Groceries category.

2015 Freedom Categories.JPG

It's possible I'm just horrible at getting my point across, but I don't think you read what I wrote carefully enough. Smiley Happy

Its because of the merchant's code.Visa recognized sam club walmart code,and send information to chase.those same merchants may register gheir code differently with discover,so it appears as grocery store.

Bah! They're just copying NUSENDA's 5% rotating categories, which are the same this year as last year. Clearly they view NUSENDA as a major competitor.

Yeah, that must be it...

http://www.nmefcu.org/home/loans-and-credit/credit-cards

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 22 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

The power of WE!
Message 23 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what qualifies as Restaurants in the Freedom cash back category?  McDonalds? Papa John's delivery?  The food truck downtown?

Message 24 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Technically all of those!
Message 25 of 36
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Technically all of those!

Right, for Chase, any restaurant and even coffee shops all qualify for the 5% restaurant.

*Edited* - PS - Think Discover does too, but never verified.

Message 26 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

We will be using Discover for the first $1500 Smiley Happy
Message 27 of 36
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
We will be using Discover for the first $1500 Smiley Happy

Sure, for 7% I would too!  I'm going to call Monday and see calling to lower the APR will result in this offer.

Message 28 of 36
bz386
Frequent Contributor

5% on the Freedom can be worth more than 7% on the Discover, if you pair the Freedom with a CSP and redeem for miles or hotel points.
Message 29 of 36
Open123
Super Contributor

@bz386 wrote:
5% on the Freedom can be worth more than 7% on the Discover, if you pair the Freedom with a CSP and redeem for miles or hotel points.

Sure, maybe, for the right redemption, but 7% cash is pretty darn hard to beat.  

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.